Friendships made through travel websites.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by milchap, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not attended any major DOs. I have only met a few FFs through locals gatherings. I do however maintain two good friendships with road warriors whom I always visit when transiting through their location.

How about you? Any stories to tell? :)

2. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have the (dis)pleasure to have met a few foodies through this and that website. we do find it pointless when the DOs are too big so we keep them small and tight at times. of course, bigger DOs you get to meet new people.

milchap likes this.
  3. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to quite a few DOs and met some wonderful people, who I now consider friends and am in contact with off the board(s).

goodandclassy and milchap like this.
  4. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had the joy of the "instant community" that was built from the fortnight of FT's Come Fly To Me competition, which has since evolved into A Tale of Two Lounges and several DOs - Through this ever expanding group, I've gained many friendships across alliances and across the globe.

Freddie Listo and milchap like this.
  5. FlyinHawaiian
    Original Member

FlyinHawaiian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've certainly met some characters at Dos/MeetUps but I've also made a considerable amount of really terrific friends from around the world. I think there's great value in meeting the faces behind the screen names as it fosters a level of civility that sometimes isn't possible on-line.

I should mention that I met the love of my life at a Do, so I am somewhat biased.

6. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someday I would like to get to a DO. I've met several friends I've had through the years who I met on Disney related sites. It was great to finally meet up with them at some Disney meets that were planned.

7. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too am looking forward to my first DO - of course I am thinking of organizing one as well for a certain group of people here on MP ;)

Ygor, sdcarver, Freddie Listo and 4 others like this.
  8. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only met one other person from a travel website, but I have met people from other social websites, that I've formed bonds.

I would call this type of relationship less than a "friendship" but more than a "casual acquaintance" :confused: (shrugs)

Horse and milchap like this.
  9. Mjgodden
    Original Member

Mjgodden Active Member

Status Points:
    Have met someone through airliners.net who I've seen once a year over the past few years. Would count him as a friend - shame I don't get to see him more often as he's a good laugh!

Mark

milchap likes this.
  10. Efrem
    Original Member

Efrem Silver Member

Status Points:
    I met an AA Executive Platinum desk agent through FlyerTalk over ten years ago: I posted something, she sent me a private message with her e-mail, I replied - still 100 percent professional. One thing led to another, though, and we dated for a year or two. Old-timers over there may recall that we went to two Dos, one in New York and one in San Diego, as a couple.

Other than that, nobody I'm in touch with much outside frequent flyer get-togethers, but several people whom I look forward to seeing again at those.

11. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would consider the other CLT people from FT/Milepoint good acquaintances. I'm FB friends with several of them.

12. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have met two people I've kept in semi-regular contact through some FT-Dos. I've joined other travel boards, and have met some of those people as well. One of those (near dead) travel boards includes friends I travel with often, and only one of them is what I'd consider a mileage whore. We may take quick trips, but it isn't always about the miles.

13. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not met anybody from any travel-sites, but have met a lot of people from other messages boards. I started to communicate via the computer long before the internet ( over 20 years ago!) and some of the friends I got at that time, I still have contact with! Not best friends, but good friends.

I hope I can make it to the Scandinavian DO in Sept/Oct.

Haha, I forgot... I MIGHT have met some... I think we were 3-4 flyertalkers sitting in the lounge at IC Park Lane, nobody knew who were who and nobody dared to ask. :) Oh, I forgot, somebody asked if I was the "nerdy" guy... :)

Xxx.

14. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have met a few people through FT and Dos. I have seen them occasionay through the years and have enjoyed the interaction.

sdcarver

15. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some of my best friends and travel buddies I first had contact with on the travel web site and then later met them at a "DO". They've really enriched my life tremendously.

milchap likes this.