Friendly Reminder: Submit Refund Requests to get Upgrade Copay and Miles back

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WilCo, Nov 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a friendly reminder...
    With United, the system does not always automatically catch that your requested mileage upgrade did not clear. I found that United owed me $1650 and 60,000 miles for 3 international upgrades that did not clear. Hopefully this is a systems problem that will get fixed in the very near future. If they can take the money/miles when you request them, they need to be able to refund them when it doesn't clear. This needs to happen automatically without customer involvement.

Mapsmith, AZjohn, unavaca and 4 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, I submitted a request earlier this week. The miles were refunded the next day (inresponse to the request), the $$$ haven't shown up yet, not even as a pending transaction on the Chase website. Not terribly surprising, but it's annoying that they can charge me immediately, but refunds take time.

roberton3 and aptraveler like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is to their advantage if they do not refund you so, of course, they will not automate the system in the off chance that you would forget or rely on things happening automatically. I have always had to request a redeposit of an upgrade instrument that did not clear...A redeposited GPU or RPU usually shows up almost instantly after you make the request (1K desk by phone). I am not surprised that any associated cash refund would take much longer as it always does for everything else...

4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, IMHO, there is no fix for this because this is exactly the way the newUA wants to do business.
    As NYCUA1K stated, they have no honor or desire to refund funds that they can just stick in their pocket if someone forgets, overlooks, or assumes that this will automatically happen.
    It's just part of the new lottery game they want you to play by. You (and I) have a choice if we want to play their game.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is most likely not entirely a UA issue. My company refunds to credit cards via the same portal that we accept payments, and although the charges we enter are instantaneous, the processors often take up to a week to apply the refunds to our customers' cards. As a seller, I hate it. It reflects poorly on us in the eyes of the customers who don't understand the standard process, and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would make sense if the flights weren't in may. It's now December. By math, that's over 6 months. Untied should not need me to tell them they were unable to clear my requested upgrade and that they should issue a refund.

7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK. I get it now. I would be more than a little upset if I were you. That is definitely not a CC processor issue.

I finally got the 5000 miles today that Copa promised to me in September. Had several issues earlier in the year, and finally contacted the CEO when nobody would respond to my customer service inquiries. He responded personally and impressively, but then he handed my case over to one of his customer service people. It took me over two months to get the comp miles, and that is after writing every day for the last week, with today's email telling her that I really don't want to have to bother the CEO about this again. I literally had them in my account within an hour after sending that one, but gosh I hate to threaten people. It's seems so unnecessary.

Why do airlines get away with such scavenger behavior? It certainly isn't something that we could (or would want to) get away with in the plastic bag business. I guess if they all stink, then we just pick the one with the odor that makes us the least sick.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And screwing your customers (or trying to) every possible way is such a great business model...

Besides, having to deal with all those manual refund requests that come in can't exactly be cheap either. I do wonder how many people actually forget to request the refund.

I just checked my accounts. For my two tickets that I requested upgrade refunds for last week, I have received the miles back on both, but the $500 copay on only one. Guess another email will be in order.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  9. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got my miles shortly after flight (and upgrade didn't clear). The money is still missing 6 months later. I called Mileage Plus Service Center yesterday and they were able to process the refund fairly quickly. In theory, I get the money back in ~7 days. Considering opening a BBB complaint on this just so the company starts treating this with priority. This really shouldn't be happening.

10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure, but I believe that DOT complaints carry more weight with (against) UA than do BBB complaints. My experience with BBB as a business owner is that all of our BBB complaints have been from people playing with less than a full deck. Not implying that you are like our disgruntled customers, but I can tell you that we don't even respond to them anymore, and our business is growing in a big way for 3 years straight.

My one DOT complaint about UA happened this year, and I got a call from UA within a couple of days asking how they could help resolve the issue. They didn't actually do anything to speed up the resolution, but they were clearly concerned about it. I can't imagine getting the same immediate response from a BBB complaint. Who checks with the BBB before booking a flight? DOT complaint rates are a lot more public.

11. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Received refund now. For future reference, I would ignore the online form and call MPSC directly.