Friend Wants to Rebook Flights using MR...

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nonstopski, Feb 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    A friend of mine new to the miles and points world booked some flights to Chicago from DC a month ago. He just got 25,000 membership rewards posted and now, after realizing getting cash back (pay bill with points) is not an efficient use of MRs, wants to rebook these flights by either 1. transferring MRs to a travel partner or 2. paying for the flight with points.

I told him that he'd likely have to pay a cancellation fee on both Delta and US Airways (he booked one way with each, which weirdly ended up being cheaper than a round trip). I did some googling and found change fees, but not something for cancellation.

He of course doesn't have status or anything, so he'd have to pay whatever the normal fee is for doing this. I checked here and it seems his US Airways portion may be "re-bookable" for no fee?

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/10/airline-change-and-cancellation-fees-how-to-avoid-them/

ContinentalFan likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is VERY unlikely that either of the revenue tickets CHI-WAS or WAS-CHI are refundable or changeable without a fee. Unless there has been a significant schedule change or he paid for a changeable ticket that's just not happening. He's probably better off saving the points for the next trip and using this one as booked.

Is there something specific about the US ticket which makes you think it is flexible/refundable??

nonstopski likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    He may be able to change the departure date of his ORD/DCA, and use the tickets later, for a lessor fee.

Avios would be cheaper..since US Air and AA are joining,,,

DC is a nice day trip...

Delta charge me for my last change, have him call the airlines, and hope for the best.

4. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a Class T economy seat if that explains it any further on Delta. He called Delta today to find out what it would cost, etc., but with all the delays the wait was more than an hour.

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on the fare rules, you may have to pay a service fee and/or a difference in fare. For travel within the 50 United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the fee is $200 for Delta-marketed flights

It also could be $50.00 to chane the departure date, and the ticket would be good for one year.

Call late at night less phone traffic, or early in the AM, while the West coast is asleep.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's going to cost $$$ to change.

Like I said in the initial reply tell your friend to forget about it this time and use the points next time.

7. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, looks like that's the best plan - just to use the points for another trip. He just doesn't take that many trips, so I know saving the $150-200 for spending money instead of travel would help. But, oh well!

8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The truth about point is many of then expire, unless you keep up with them.

As Americans we have too many junk items in our closet we never use, gym memberships never used..and the list goes on...

Tell them to enjoy the trip, and next time plan a little better, their will be more trips,

Invite him to read Milepoint, it is something he has to do for himself, a quick google search, and he could have found the answer for himself.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    He's looking at $400 in change fees. There is almost certainly no way that's a smart idea.