Frequent Flyer Website

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by YoungEntrepreneur, Oct 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. YoungEntrepreneur

YoungEntrepreneur New Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,

As my username suggests, I am a young entrepreneur. I am currently working on a site aimed at making it easier to use your miles. I am looking for advice to help make my venture useful to the frequent flyer community.

I would love to get your input: What functionality would you like to see on a site like this? What kinds of things would allow you to redeem your miles in the simplest and most effective way?

I greatly appreciate any and all advice and ideas!

Thank you,
    YoungEntrepreneur

wrxmom likes this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    A cross reference that when entering any city pair, it would show you in a Hipmunk style, either your choice of what the award chart is for the flight from any and all programs or real time award availability for the flight from any and all programs and it would also option in car rental and hotel location rates in miles at the city destination of your search.

wrxmom and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The award chart version of that is (relatively) easy. I've got a prototype already built and it is pretty reliable. But what's the business model there? Hard to build an income plan around a travel planning site where you're not handling any booking transactions.

Getting real-time award inventory is an almost certain non-starter. Sufficiently few large airlines are willing to allow that data out to 3rd party views that it is probably a foolish idea to build around that concept.

wrxmom and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Randy nailed it. The key is to capture partner award charts, too: I need to know I can use Korean Skypass points for a Delta flight and what that price would be (why? because they're a Chase UR transfer partner...). Likewise, I need to know that I can use Avios for an AA flight (again, a chase UR partner).

It would be acceptable to filter based on the programs where I have points, but you also need to include the transfer partners of at least Chase, Amex MR, and SPG.

I would love something that proactively suggested interesting redemptions (e.g. SPG flights and nights) or opportunities to combine points (e.g. transferring both Amex MR and Chase UR to Lufthansa).

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Credit card referrals. The universal business model of the "travel" site industry.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  6. YoungEntrepreneur

YoungEntrepreneur New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all! I really appreciate your input! I will keep you posted as my venture develops. Feel free to contact me with any other idea you may have.

Thanks again,
    YoungEntrepreneur

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd say "alerts" would be the obvious thing to hang your hat on--when is a seat at SAAver level available from here to here? But I'd take WA's advice, it probably isn't workable.

8. MileWriter

MileWriter Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to be able to apply a search as powerful as ITA to award bookings (I'm looking at you, Delta).

9. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any updates on your venture?