Frequent Flyer Miles gotya's

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by SirKnite, Aug 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. SirKnite

SirKnite New Member

Status Points:
    So I have some frequent flyer miles due to expire and decide to book some travel and get the miles added to my account to keep that from happening. Like most, I went online to book the reservations for hotel and rental car etc. Now here is the interesting part. I did a search for a cheep rental car and ended up on //travela.priceline.com/rentalcars/.... which apparently is a link through Travelocity to Priceline. I went through all of the screens and entered all of the information requested to reserve the car. On none of the screens was there a place to enter my Frequent Flyer account number. So when I want to pick up the car from Alamo, I gave the number to the counter girl and thought all was well with the world. When the miles didn't show up on my Frequent Flyer account, I began the search to find out why. According to Alamo, the miles must be entered on the reservation screen, they can not enter them (so I was told). So I contacted Priceline and they said that there was a place but when I really questioned the customer service agent he admitted that there were some partner screens where you can not enter the miles. I have had problems with Priceline in the past so I guess I should not be surprised at this. Bottom line I think you have to be super vigilent and ask a lot of questions to make sure that you will receive the miles with your rental/stay etc.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And with hotels there are many booking portals which do not allow you to earn credit at all.

Depending on the program there may be an easy and cheap way to keep the account alive (if it isn't dead yet). What program are you trying to keep the points in?

3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP SirKnite!

4. SirKnite

SirKnite New Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the program there may be an easy and cheap way to keep the account alive (if it isn't dead yet). What program are you trying to keep the points in?[/quote]

It is with United. Fortunatly I was able to work with a super counter agent and she has been able to make it happen after all.

Yes, I have run into the hotel portal issue myself and you are correct. I have also found that it really is best to book directly with the hotels. Surprisingly often it is as cheep as the portals and there are never any surprises.

5. SirKnite

SirKnite New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I have spread the word that frequent flyers (and all loyalty program members) need to know about this site!!!

cennas likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you got it taken care of. United is one of the easier programs in which one can keep points alive so plenty of options available.

7. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can fall out of bed and get united miles. (well not quite but pretty close :)

I always find it easier to book my rental cars (on the rare occasion I need one) right through the airlines website. (I bounce between AA and UA) I don't rent enough cars to make being a member of their loyalty programs really worth it, I'll just take the 500 or so airline miles per day by booking through the airlines sites.