Frequent flier's tips for dealing with jet lag

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/09/snyder.jetlag/

Some interesting thoughts in the article, I know the Milepoint community must have a few other tips / tricks up its sleeve.
    One user comment I thought was interesting "I also bring a little 3 oz spray bottle of water to spray on my face, and a bottle of saline spray to keep my nose moist I haven't caught a 'flight cold' since I started doing this."

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

3. Trout Fishing in America
    Original Member

Trout Fishing in America Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, personally, Melatonin has been nothing short of a miracle. Obviously when you start talking about medicine or supplements you really want to do your homework before jumping in. But, I encourage anyone who hasn't tried Melatonin to at least look into it.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  4. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a bit old fashioned but I find timing flights is the best way to avoid jetlag. If I'm flying west bound on a long trip (In my case TATL) I've found the best bet is to try and land as close to my normal bedtime as possible. That way I can collapse as soon as I get to the hotel. By that point I'm so tired that I'm likely to sleep through to a reasonable hour in the morning. Getting that first nights sleep right makes all the difference to adjusting to the new time zone.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that the biggest determinant of my extent of jet lag is how exhausted and frazzled I am when I arrive at the airport. If I'm in my office late the night before the trip and then frantically packing and racing to the airport, the outcome will not be good. It will be worse, of course, if the flight is delayed/overbooked/etc.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  6. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree whole-heartedly. Melatonin is a life saver, I just make sure I don't take it regualrly because it will start loosing it's effectiveness. The best thing about it is that it won't force you to sleep/keep you asleep in the case of an emergency. This is why I avoid Ambien on flights, I would rather keep the option of being alert open.

Saline solution does help along with drinking of plenty of water. And I absolutely agree with getting your sleep schedule sorted as quickly as possible. (Another time Melatonin is useful!)

7. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I time my flight naps, esp. on long haul flights to asia. If i am landing during the daytime, i will take a nap towards the end of the flight, so that staying awake during the day will not be a problem, if i am landing later at night, i stay awake for the last few hours of the flight.

jmrich1432 likes this.