Frequent Flier Support Group

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Steven Schwartz, Oct 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not easy to admit but they say the first step to a cure is admitting the problem.

I got "hooked" on this stuff about 8 years ago. We wanted to go to Paris from NY and I discovered that I could transfer my Starwood points to BA and get two First Class tickets. Cost would be 300,000 miles or, with the bonus, 240,000 Starwood points. Then after doing some reading on FT, I discovered that an alternative would be transferring to Cathay Pacific since they had a different redemption schedule. They charged only 90,000 miles for that same exact seat so it cost me a total of 145,000 Starwood points. Yes, I was indeed hooked and the rest is history.

I live now for Expert Flyer, Award Nexus and certain airline award engines. I love the hunt. I wrote a thread here a few days ago about having problems getting FC seats that I knew were available but that US Air was blocking. Frustrating? To be sure, the the true adrenalin rush was making it happen (with the help of you folks here at MP). I LOVE it when friends ask for help and am more than happy to do lots of legwork for them - fitting it all together is like the best NY Times Sunday crossword puzzle imaginable.

So what's the problem? When the reservations are confirmed and the tickets issued, I go into a funk, constantly bugging my wife about the NEXT trip after the one I planned. And then the true madness starts - maybe instead of flying to and from Paris this December, we should train to Brussels and fly home from there (this was the genesis of my other thread). Of course, that meant I would have to pay change fees - not insubstantial with US Air - but it allows me to get back into the game again! And the search begins again.

My sense is that change fees this year will be between $1,000 and $1,500 - hey people loose more than that gambling and I'm not hurting anyone - and it is entertainment! It's just that I'm beginning to feel it is more than fun and just maybe, a compulsion.

So maybe my tongue in cheek thought has some merit - a place to turn to for a reality check from people who might care enough to smack me upside the head and help me find another hobby!

2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Steven - one of my favorite benefits of Chairman's status on US is the lack of fees for redositing awards. Agreed that as a Centurion Platinum that is a big jump, but if you have 50,001+ EQMs, the cost to buy chairman's is quite reasonable. Getting to 50,001 EQM doesn't require a lot of flying, 10k for the US Mastercard, 10K from the Grand Slam.

The hunt is great, there is nothing wrong with it. Everyone else that complains is just a little jealous.

SC Flier and Scottrick like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, get some status. You could spend that $1000-1500 on mileage runs, boosting your RDM balance and eliminating change fees in the process.

My girlfriend finds it annoying, but she enjoys the benefits. I try to make sure she sees a cost advantage to my obsession.

riverchica, DeltaExpert and SC Flier like this.
  4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    ditto that.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel your pain and suffer from the same ailment. We have a trip coming up to FCO in 10 days and this week I just booked a trip for us to IST and LHR for May 2012. And I am more excited about that trip since its the newest booking. I told my wife that I want to have 2 rolling trips always booked. keeps the hunting skills sharp.......

flamingo likes this.
  6. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:

mowogo likes this.
  7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    [quote="riverchica, post: 819096"I distinctly recall my boyfriend snapping at me for being "obsessed" when I was trying to get him to apply for his first credit card offer. Fast forward a few international trips and sitting in the back while I was riding up front enjoying a glass of wine and he's a convert. He actually spent the morning signing his mom up for a bunch of accounts! Now he's the one who gets accused of being obsessed!][/quote]
    It is always fun to turn someone to our obsession

8. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see it as an obsession or compulsion, especially if the trip was going to be made anyway. Rather, it's a challenge; a challenge to pay the lowest price for the best seat or use the fewest miles for the best seat. And, when it all comes together, it's a great feeling.

Maybe what I describe is an obsession, but, no more so than going to the mall to find that special garment.

9. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the folks on here are going to tell you to find another hobby! :)

I still remember when I booked my first LH F seat for my mom. It was so easy to do, and I couldn't believe that I had got a $15K seat for perhaps 2 to 3 hours work (between researching, collecting the miles, and calling in to redeem).

Now I'm addicted, but not all addictions are bad...

10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about if on the way home from the mall, all you can think about is your next trip to the mall!!!

And Dairius, you keep obsessing and I'll keep reading! Thanks.

jmrich1432 and bjdriscoll like this.
  11. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good analogy. I guess that's how I ended up booking 12k miles worth of flights this month after not being gone for almost six weeks. I got the bug and just had to keep booking!

NYBanker and OceanBreezes like this.