Frequency and timing of card aps?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by als66208, Aug 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. als66208

als66208 Active Member

Status Points:
    About two weeks ago, I applied and was approved for a Chase Marriott card (70,000 points + a free night). In connection with a July 2014 trip to Hawaii, I would like to also apply for the Chase United card (50,000 points). Do I need to wait a few weeks or months, or should I apply now? I have excellent credit. The Marriott Chase was the first credit pull I'd had in 2 years. But, I do have about $18K in student loan debt and $150K mortgage on a $65K salary. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm 31 and married. Thoughts? Suggestions?

MX likes this.
  2. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Won't kill you to take a shot. Worst case they deny you and you get a hard pull for nothing. In a few months that won't matter. Take a shot. Be prepared to be denied and call the reconsideration line to pull it through. See articles by TPG or MMS for suggestions/phone numbers.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    if it was 2 wks ago, Chase will most likely not do another hard pull. But you might need to call in & explain why you want another card. I've done 2 cards with Chase within 2 weeks (1 Hardpull) & 2 Cards in one day; also one hardpull.

4. chicago_matt

chicago_matt Member

Status Points:
    Based on what you have stated should be fine. Im certain that you'll hit the reconsideration line and just tell the "story". I wouldn't bring up your Marriott right away but if raised dont shy away. Will be traveling ... One airline car, one hotel makes sense yada yada