French reds :o!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by kaka, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    I shall be eurobound in a month's time and i'm a mad foodie with mad foodie friends (who would fly somewhere which primary reason was for food (note FFF if you looked at the MP meetup calendar), but would also tag along with some other fun n not fly back straight away)

still young at age i wouldnt want to spend 100s of euros for a bottle but since i'm now spluging on MILES it's the best way of getting some wine home considering the price differentials of some wines. (besides some very commercial wines I've seen selling with a 10-20% markup (which is reasonable) many of the better ones goes off with crazier markups!)

my plan now is to ask the experts here for a list of maybe 6 wines below 100 EUR that I would bring back to HK. Food that probs go along with it is some homely dish of (red) meat that wont take 100% attention for a good 6 hours. (might do a slow roast where i can just leave the dish in oven for 6 hours, but not 6 hours of constant cooking)

Or alternatively, they can be occasional wines if the day comes!

The luggage shall also be filled up with other cheaper every day wine... dont tell me i'm crazy :) but i think i'll seperate the 2 cases!

jbcarioca, KIXman and sobore like this.
  2. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi kaka
    some suggestions :

With grilled beef : Saint-Estèphe (Bordeaux)
    With Carpaccio of beef : Pauillac (Bordeaux)
    With a leg or shoulder of lamb cooked long and slowly : Pomerol (Bordeaux) / ChâteauNeuf-du-Pape(Côtes-du-Rhône)
    With lamb chops : Madiran / Irouléguy
    With a stir-fry of lamb : Côte de Nuits (Bourgogne) / Côte-Rôtie / Pauillac (Bordeaux)

Have a nice trip !:)

KIXman and sobore like this.
  3. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks! that's the kind of stuff i'm after! tho i'm not a fan of wine-ing with stir fry :p

jbcarioca, KIXman and G_G like this.
  4. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe this Pauillac, Chateau Mouton Rothschild (The emblem of the Castle is the ram of Augsburg)
    could change your mind ;) Mouton is translated in Sheep !
    [​IMG]

jbcarioca and KIXman like this.
  5. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL i will if i can save up before then! perhaps i wont have to worry about other wines cuz this may blow the budget

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to have a Pauillac without blowing your budget, choose a second wine like "Château Haut-Bages Averous"(the name has changed since vintage 2008, it's now "Echo de Lynch-Bages"), the second wine of the famous "Chateau Lynch-Bages".
    You could also buy "Les Hauts de Pontet", second wine of the famous "Château Pontet-Canet".
    These are excellent Pauillac.
    You must buy at least one Pauillac.:)
    [​IMG]

kaka, jbcarioca and KIXman like this.
  7. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live in Burgundy and you can get some fabulous wines sur place for well under €100. Just drive around the Côte d'Or and stop for some taste testing. You should also decide whether you prefer Cabernet or Pinot Noir. That will help decide between Bordeaux and Burgundy.

I recommend a visit to the Château de Pommard

8. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    ahhhh.. that i can try on the CX F cabin first!!! i very much hope they wil find out i actually like the wine and would offer me a bottle :p

jbcarioca and KIXman like this.
  9. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    although i pretty much prefer cabernets to pinot noirs, i would give this a try!

now i can plan for my 4 day french trip! (will need to be at Toulouse on day 5 and 6!)

jbcarioca, KIXman and stimpy like this.
  10. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're going to Paris for the first time this summer... this is such a handy thread, I print it out and take it as a cheat sheet. Thanks for the tips!

jbcarioca, KIXman and kaka like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can get access to the April issue of Travel & Leisure magazine, there's a feature article on France for wine lovers that discusses visiting/tasting Bordeaux and Burgundy and also suggests some particular wines.

12. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    one more for the ones who know. where should i buy them in france. i'd be in paris and also out of. the chateau themselves??

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you buy in Paris at a wineshop, try La Derniere Goutte in the 6th, which is run by an American, and has lots of great value wines from all over France. If you tell them what you like, they will steer you toward some very interesting things.

kaka and jbcarioca like this.
  14. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never buy in Paris if you can avoid it. The prices are much higher and you rarely get the good stuff. Always go directly to the vineyard if you are serious about wine. And if you go to the small producers, you can negotiate, especially if you are a regular customer.

15. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right but you have to buy at least a quantity : kaka was speaking about 6 differents bottles.

16. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    a "caviste" that you will be able to find almost anywhere in France : Nicolas
    If you have an address in France : online site 1855 or ChateauOnLine

kaka and stimpy like this.
  17. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    a Bordeaux I'm fond of (even if it's not a famous one) this is Château Chasse-Spleen
    [​IMG]

mynameismud, kaka and jbcarioca like this.
  18. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to buy quantity to get a deep discount. But you can even buy a single bottle if you go direct. And it will always be cheaper. Plus of course you get the added benefit of taste testing everything they have.

19. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's the best way (you'll be certain that you like what you buy) but you have to stay a longer time and visit a lot of places if you want to have different wines :)

20. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what makes it fun. And many of these old Chateau's are museums in their own right. The one I mentioned above in Pommard is actually a high end art museum too. Each year they feature a different artist. Dali, Picasso, Botero, etc.

21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with Stimpy. I have recommended Chateau de Pommard to several people who have come away with raves. The wines are excellent too. You'll also find several wines that that will not break your budget and you'll be able to try them all first. It is very close to Beaune, which has lots of interesting things to see also. I buy wine there almost every year.

http://www.chateaudepommard.com/

mynameismud, kaka and stimpy like this.
  22. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know! is french a must there or they have english tours?
    Also how much time would i be spending there? Me thinks 2-4 hrs average??

23. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh i know about Nicolas. i lived across one when i used to live in London. before i was into wine that is. LOL!

24. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chateau Pommard has tours in multiple languages, including English. If you want tour, lunch and wine tasting, allow 4 hours.

kaka likes this.
  25. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME more English is generally spoken around the wineries in Bordeaux compared to Burgundy. Maybe this is because the Brits seem so fond of red Bordeaux, which they call claret, in addition to champagne and port.

kaka likes this.