French hotels say Booking.com and Expedia are control freaks

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jul 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || French hotels say Booking.com and Expedia are control freaks ||

Showdown? Interesting insights from France, which could have knock-on effects around the world.

estnet and MX like this.
  2. loyaltypointsUK

loyaltypointsUK Member

Status Points:
    Yup, they will kick hotel off programme if direct rates are lower. Then 20% commission from the hotel on top.

uggboy likes this.
  3. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get it, however for these hotels... I bet most of their clientel comes from the expedias, kayak's, etc.

When you can't market enough yourself, and you HAVE to resort to listing on the mass travel sites, you have little to complain about. Besides, how much does the hotel room actually cost them? What was it? $18 a night? (as per another poster on here.), so if their regular rates are $200, and Expedia twists their arm to $100, and then takes another $20 off of the top, it is still $60 free money the hotel is earning.

uggboy likes this.
  4. cla001

cla001 New Member

Status Points:
    That's kind of half true - I remember discussing the similar topic on one of the other discussion boards and it seems that there is a very nice loophole that almost any hotel can exploit (I know at least one US hotel chain that does this openly and still work with at least booking.com). The idea is that booking.com conditions with hotels do not allow them to offer lower prices on hotel's websites or even at the reception desk, UNLESS these are "special" rates for "members of specific hotel programs etc.". This is fair as you might imagine that rates for some "Super-Diamond" frequent guest level might be significantly lower than advertised ones. So, nobody restricts hotels to offer "Free instant program sign-up" on their website and then offer "Members only" rates for newly subscribed members :)

Again - at least one US hotel chain does EXACTLY this way and their "member only" rates (that are essentially for everyone who spent 2 minutes on signing up) are lower than ones advertised on booking.com.