French are stingiest tippers in the world (and Brits are not far behind)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Aug 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    French are stingiest tippers in the world (and Brits are not far behind)

satman40 likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without stereotyping too, too much. In the case of the French its somewhat understandable since service is included with dining. The British are just plain cheap:D
    notice in the comments above they blame it on Americans... yet they flock our malls buying everything in sight... you just cant have it both ways can you?

satman40, anileze and uggboy like this.
  3. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    The article states that "A ‘tipping index’ of 132 bars and restaurants investigated perceptions of tipping trends in holiday hotspots including Barcelona, Las Vegas, Paris, Phuket and Ibiza". I'd never tip in Barcelona, Paris, Phuket or Ibiza. I would tip in Las Vegas - as that's what is done there - but it seems a little strange to investigate tipping in a number of places, only one of which has 'regular' tipping practices.

satman40 and uggboy like this.
  4. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, to never leave anything sounds super cheap.
    LV expects tips....or will never see a service provider again whether bar waitress or taxi driver.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I disagree that tipping is not normal in Paris or Barcelona it the amount of the tip which is really at issue here.
    While it is not expected to add 10%-20% on a bill or a service in those cities. Leaving the small change from a cash payment or even a few euros is not at all uncommon with the locals in those cities. Personally adopting a never tip modus operandi strikes me as just being an excuse to be cheap.:)

6. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having lived mainly in Australia, Japan, and Vietnam (3 countries where tipping is not the norm - or even frowned upon in the case of Japan), tipping always feels quite bizarre. I understand that in the US and some other places, people aren't payed living wages, and so I defer to local friends and tip whatever they say is the norm.

While it might not be uncommon to leave some change in Paris or Barcelona, neither is it uncommon to not leave change.This is the same situation in Australia. It's not about being cheap - it's just about what feels normal. Last week I had dinner in a homely restaurant in CBR where the staff were so friendly and genuinely familiar. I tipped an amount about 17% of the bill - something not done in Australia and certainly rare for me - because I wanted to thank them for their genuine service. Adopting an always tip modus operandi strikes me as just being culturally arrogant when traveling globally! :D

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well you have basically summarized what should the norm. Tipping should be somewhat aligned with the basic local customs and it is behoven to the visitor to educate themselves as such.
    For example tipping might not be common in Japan but I have never been refused when I add a small percentage to a restaurant bill or even give the bell-hop a dollar to lug two large bags to our room.
    However if invited to dinner whether in a home or out to restaurant it is considered proper etiquette to take along a gift for your host a practice not very common elsewhere.

One cannot/should not adopt the attitude " well we don't to it home .. so to hell with everybody else's norms.." no matter how normal you might feel.:)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The price of the wages should be included in the bill for the service ,

Chasing a customer with the handout is just not good business, in any country ,
    Tipping should be reserved for exceptional service , instead now it's just a form of the handout,

uggboy likes this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....a "handout" many waiter/waitresses depend on, because their "basic wage" doesn't cover daily life's expenses. :(

satman40 and vickers like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely agree with you what they need is a decent wage to begin with that they could count on,

Strange we have a minimum wage in this country and yet people in the service business don't seem to qualify for it, strange restaurant owners should be exempt , while operating million dollar businesses .

A Tip is nothing more than to hand out from an emotional customer, that cheapens the server. These are real people and they deserve to be paid a decent wage,

After the restaurant closes the servers become cleaning crews, being paid two dollars an hour by the owner of the restaurant, getting home at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning

uggboy likes this.
  11. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    this topic has been debated "ad nauseam" :eek:

I find taking a wait job a questionable career move, when paying you is optional, then hoping people will feel sorry for you because you accepted poor terms from your employer

uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, some people haven't many other possibilities to make money, and btw. who does serve you when no-one wants to be a waiter or waitress? :confused: Don't blame the "workers", blame the employers instead, they reap massive profits, but pay very little. :(