Free Wine Tastings with Credit Cards...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by resipsa99, Aug 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. resipsa99
    Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When we were in Sonoma, we were able to get free wine tastings at a number of wineries through my VISA Signature card (http://www.sonomawine.com/visa-signature-perks/vs-winery-guide).

We are heading to the BC Okanagan in the fall, and there seem to be similar perks using a VISA Infinite card (http://visainfinite.winebc.org/). Apparently the same program exists in Ontario (http://winecountryontario.ca/things-we), but you have to log into the visainfinite site for details (https://visainfinite.ca/offers.html#/category/0).

I thought that I would post these in the hopes that others might have come across similar deals - hopefully there are deals via AMEX, MC, etc. as well)...Obviously a lot of places will put your tasting fee toward a bottle if you purchase one, but if you don't necessarily buy at every winery (such as when nothing in the tasting catches your fancy), saving $5-10 on tastings at wineries can add up.

Espan, uggboy, AAL and 3 others like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes this a surprisingly, seemingly little known benefit of Visa Signature cards. Some tasting rooms will even extend the benefit to all members in your group. Tastings at some wineries cost much more than $10 per person and I bet we saved will over $200 during our last visit to Sonoma.

It was particularly useful when visting Healdsburg where a lot of tasting rooms were all within easy walking distance in the downtown area.

Espan likes this.
  3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't know, look forward to one day taking advantage of this...

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frequently Megan and I have been able to avoid tasting fees by just going to less trendy areas (e.g., Healdsburg instead of Napa--which had an atmosphere I didn't care for anyway) or dropping the name or business card of the tasting room where my parents work on the weekends. They get free tastings and discounts as an industry benefit, and I have almost always been able to convince people to extend that to me.

The one time it failed was at J Vineyards, which was charging a $25 fee for a wine and food social. WIth 30+ Visa Signature cards between our group, we were happy to take advantage of the benefit. ;) I seem to recall the Visa Signature benefits are more numerous and better advertised during popular weekends like Labor Day or during barrel tasting.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree with you on the whole you cant get more "trendy" than Healdsburg (the town anyways) I believe one travel writer called it "the most yuppified town in the wine country":D

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite yuppified, yes. But when I went to Napa, the one and only time, it was like New York or Las Vegas had decided to visit California for the weekend.

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't know about this benefit, I'll have to remember when I take my GF to Napa for the weekend.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    That benefit is only valid in Sonoma county.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sonoma then :D.