Free Twitter Access onboard until April 14th

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by DeltaExpert, Mar 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any problems, delays cancelations, on board? Tweet @deltaassist and they are pretty good about resolving them. Full access is available to twitter thanks to Gogo Wifi!

NewGamePlus, culverlake and Chimpy like this.
  2. culverlake

culverlake Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm a big fan of @DeltaAssist. They have been extremely helpful to me over the past month and a half and they respond immediately. I'd say the Delta has a best-in-class social media effort right now. The other airlines are nowhere near as advanced and not nearly as helpful.

NewGamePlus likes this.
  3. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never been able to use the service Since I cannot send a direct message to Delta Assist. I understand that they must be following you, but how does one get them to follow you?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be nice if DL offered complimentary internet (gogo) access whenever there are significant delays so that one can try not only to rebook on DL but also to reserve hotel rooms and contact others by email when necessary?

5. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    ryandc99,
    All you need to do is send an @ reply to @deltaassist with a question or some sort of "I need some help" message and they'll follow you and start a DM conversation. It's pretty simple and very effective.

NewGamePlus and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

What sometimes concerns me about the @deltaassit service is whether in IROPs it will have the net impact of redistributing the limited good recovery space to twitterers (does one say twits?) rather than elites.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  7. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, should they have a @deltamedallionassist?

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    NO, it should be @deltaDMassist, etc.

9. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

NewGamePlus Silver Member

Status Points:
    These two groups need not be mutually exclusive, I think. As I've said elsewhere, I commend Delta on embracing social media as a viable channel to interact with consumers. As a business initiative, I imagine in the early days of @DeltaAssist we're going to see a pretty heavy-handed attempt at resolving issues through that specific channel to show that Delta are "early adopters" or innovators in the space(even though this sort of customer service/fulfillment has been going on using Twitter for quite some time now in other companies). Assuming they succeed in positioning themselves successfully, I imagine there will be fewer and fewer cases of complaint resolution through Twitter that fall outside of the stated procedures.

Setting up a dedicated Medallion Twitter account may seem sensible at first blush, but it runs counter to the nature of the channel. Dedicating priority interaction and fulfillment to someone who tweets the Medallion account marginalizes the work being done on the regular account, since the whole appeal of Twitter from a customer service stand point is the immediacy with which comments, complaints, and concerns can be addressed.

I'd strongly encourage Medallions to take advantage of @DeltaAssist, and to make concerns about maintaining proper treatment of elites across all channels known by using Twitter, and speaking directly to whomever is maintaining the @DeltaAssist account at the time. You can be sure all communications on the account are being closely monitored, measured, and examined.

If anyone needs a brief tutorial or walk through on setting up an account, or tweets, @ replies, DMs, and #hashtags work, feel free to drop me a PM here on Milepoint, I'm happy to help.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that DL is offering free twitter on flights right now and plans to emphasize this for immediate customer service, I think it would be great if you could post a brief tutorial, including how to contact DL this way. Someone here thought that you first had to make DL follow you, which can't possibly be right. It could either be placed in this thread or, probably better, given a thread of its own. I know I need the lesson in how to do this.

NewGamePlus likes this.
  11. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some good suggestions MSPeconomist!

12. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You've got yourself a deal! Soon as I'm finished with this pesky "job" thing for the day, I'll draft something. Sounds like a new topic might be best, but I'll post a link to it here as well.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like a commitment to me. Thanks in advance.

14. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok... after one false start and an hour of lost work (always draft long posts in a text editor, and save your work!), it's up! Any feedback would be appreciated!

culverlake and USAF_Pride like this.