(free) Source for fare routing information?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by yaffa, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking for a free source of fare routing information.
    Example: I have something like JFK-LAX on UA with a given fare and would like to pull the routing information as stored in the GDS. Basically I would like to see the complete routing information (MPM or published routes).
    Does anybody know a free interface to this?
    I am using Expertflyer but am looking for a free/open source for this information.
    In the end I would like to automate searches without generating too much traffic.

Any help is appreciated!

2. YVR-Flyer
    Original Member

YVR-Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can price it on Expedia - occasionally the fares and routing are available just before the confirmation page. Otherwise you will need to subscribe to Expert Flyer or KVS tool.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that those two desires are compatible. Anytime a source like this is exposed to automated harvesting is going to end up getting abused and probably have to cut it off.
    Fare rules are available from pretty much every pricing engine (and Travelocity is easier to harvest IME) but not routing rules.

4. YVR-Flyer
    Original Member

YVR-Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Routings are often displayed on Expedia - tagged onto the bottom of the rules display

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just checked a few and didn't see them. Got an example that works?

6. YVR-Flyer
    Original Member

YVR-Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No I am also checking and guess it is another feature that has been "modified". I don't use it now, but used to years ago before subscribing to EF.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://dps1.travelocity.com/lognlogin.ctl?tr_module=FARE

This will show each fare code. You can click on the fare code for the breakdown:
    There is a area called COMBINATIONS that has the information you are looking for:

COMBINATIONS

DOUBLE OPEN JAWS NOT PERMITTED. ADD-ONS NOT PERMITTED. END-ON-END END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. TRAVEL MUST BE VIA THE POINT OF COMBINATION. OPEN JAWS/2-COMPONENT CIRCLE TRIPS/MULTI-COMPONENT CIRCLE TRIPS FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS -TO FORM SINGLE OPEN JAWS A MAXIMUM OF 1 STOPOVERS PERMITTED AT FARE BREAK POINTS. MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/ LESS THAN MILEAGE OF THE SHORTEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT. -TO FORM 2-COMPONENT CIRCLE TRIPS -TO FORM MULTI-COMPONENT CIRCLE TRIPS A MAXIMUM OF 2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED AT FARE BREAK POINTS. PROVIDED - COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER US IN ANY RULE IN ANY TARIFF. NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT - BUR-LGB BUR-ONT BUR-SNA DAB-MLB DAB-ORL FLL-MIA FLL-PBI LAX-BUR LAX-LGB LAX-ONT LAX-SNA MIA-PBI OAK-SJC ONT-LGB ONT-SNA ORF-PHF ORL-MLB SAV-HHH SFO-OAK SFO-SJC SNA-LGB SRQ-TPA

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Those are NOT routing rules. Those are city pairs that can be considered the same for fare construction (each airline has their own set) but those do not define which routes are permissible for any particular fare.

Generally speaking that text is static in every rule for any particular carrier. But LAX, BUR, LGB and ONT being interchangeable doesn't really matter on a FLL-LGA fare that doesn't permit connections.
    No idea about years ago but I haven't sen routing rules on any of the major booking engines in a long time.