Free Silver Elite Star Alliance Status

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Robin, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    BMI if offering free silver elite status if you open a new mileage account. Great deal since BMI is part of Star Alliance. http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/loy...ions/exclusive-instant-silver-membership.aspx

More details from Dan's Deals "You do not have to accumulate the flight miles on BMI in order the reap the benefits of Star Alliance Silver. On United for example you can provide one mileage number for mileage accrual and another for Star Alliance benefits. When flying Continental you can provide your BMI number when you make your reservation, when you check-in online, or at the airport to get the Star Alliance Silver benefits. After checking in your luggage you can change your mileage number at the kiosk or just ask any agent to change your mileage number to the airline on which you want to accrue miles. Just remember to do it before you board the flight! That way you can accumulate miles on any Star Alliance carrier. Accumulate on Continental for their all-around great mileage program, on ANA for their well-priced awards, on Air Canada for their amazing mini-round-the-world awards, or even on Aegean if you want easy access to top-tier Star Alliance Gold status (with 3 bags of 70 pounds each for you and each travel companion on many airlines and free access to nearly 1,000 lounges worldwide) when you accumulate just 19,000 elite miles!" http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/13155

Miles, flacey8, doc and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    the only real benefit is 25% earn bonus

(this is posted in *A forum, not BD forum)

doc and Miles like this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? I thought they also got free luggage checking at CO, etc. Is that not true?

Miles likes this.
  4. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    When flying Continental you can provide your BMI number when you make your reservation, when you check-in online, or at the airport to get the Star Alliance Silver benefits. After checking in your luggage you can change your mileage number at the kiosk or just ask any agent to change your mileage number to the airline on which you want to accrue miles.

Miles likes this.
  5. futaris

futaris Active Member

Status Points:
    Only one free checked bag in the USA...

Miles likes this.
  6. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    You only get the bonus if you credit to BMI though, right?

Miles likes this.
  7. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you get any benefits on US Air?

Miles likes this.
  8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume this would require one to fly 38,000m to qualify for gold then.

Miles likes this.
  9. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, thanks for sharing that. I am sure a lot of members will find this useful :) As for me, I just did a status match with them recently and worked like a charm.

Miles likes this.
  10. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Miles likes this.
  11. I just joined, but it seems that I didn't get Silver - only Blue.... What went wrong? [​IMG]

Miles likes this.
  12. I also signed up tonight but only got Blue.

Miles likes this.
  13. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    My assumption for is that the deal is now DEAD so you will most likely not be able to get silver at this time.

14. Damn! ;-)

15. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    a friend used his link and ended up getting only Blue and Not Silver, when he emailed CS he received a reapply that the Link he used was over a year old and was a targeted link besides that so since he was Not the person who the link was sent to even if it was a Live link he wouldnt have gotten Silver.

(Ive edited out things that it seems my friend assumed was the case when in fact it wasnt and the sites owner did not Delete anything it seems)

16. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's odd! I am already a gold member with bmi so didn't try it myself. However, I had my brother sign up for this deal and he got an email welcoming him as a silver member with bmi within minutes. He never received any emails and I just copied the link from here for him.

17. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I asked him to forward to me the email respons ehe received from BMI here it is:

Date: March 18, 2011 10:02:38 AM EDT​
    To:
    Subject: RE: Web Correspondence In - other

Dear Mr Y,​

I regret to inform you that this link and code was only valid as described below.​

The link was only on printed application forms which members would have received directly from a bmi representative.​
    Anyone that has used this link will be verified and, if they did not receive the offer from a bmi representative, will not be upgraded to silver.​

Best regards​

Best regards​

( again I edited this post to remove those statements my friend asked me to post, since he was in error of what the truth was I felt they no longer should be posted, he did feel taht from get go the deal should have been noted as a YMMV and might be targeted which it seems from him it wasnt from get go, I never viewed the post on the other site to be able to know what it said and when it said it before today)​

18. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    "We're pleased to see that you recently joined our Diamond Club frequent flyer programme. However, I'm writing to you because unfortunately the link you used to join was an exclusive by invitation only offer and as noted in our terms and conditions was non transferable.

Regrettably, we will not be honouring the Silver status, and over the next few days your account will be downgraded to Blue status. Our decision is final, and we won't be entering into any further correspondence on this. "

so much for that!

Miles likes this.
  19. ctownflyer
    Original Member

ctownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shame.
    You can always try to match to an airline like Delta though while you are still Silver.

By the way when I posted a similar BMI Silver deal last year they sent out an email saying they would downgrade people, but they never did downgrade anyone. This time the deal was publicized much more though so they are more likely to follow through...

Miles likes this.
  20. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    hrm

noob question - but how do you do that?

21. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. Miles and I both received the bad emails within the last few minutes, like others above:
    I do like the Delta-match idea contained in ctownflyer's post, above.

22. The Travel Cat
    Original Member

The Travel Cat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got the same email today. :(

savydog and Miles like this.
  23. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I learnt a very important thing today, no matter who asks you to post something dont if they dont want to join a site then dont post anything on their behalf. It turns out my friend never went past the home page of the other site where he originally saw it mentioned to get BMI Silver and thusly believed it was Deleted when in fact in fell off to the next pg or 2 due to new postings

Hes a very good friend so I took him at his word when he said what the case was and what he would like me to post, in the future I will check things out before simply accepting things as its told to me and once again if someone wants me to post something on their behalf either let them join the site if its a statement they want to make , a question I dont mind such as whats the best or cheapest or fastest way from XYZ to Hotel X, but statements let them post on their own

savydog likes this.
  24. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Understand. I've found things over the years that others have told me from their experiences that also were a little fuzzy. No real fault as I'm sure your friend thought what they saw was the answer. Thanks for sharing and as well reminding us that we always need to be a little open-minded with our friends!

savydog and karung99 like this.
  25. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually a good question.
    Several airlines offer members the opportunity to be "status matched" from other competing airlines, though usually not those within the same alliance (miracles do happen from time to time!). Since bmi is not within the SkyTeam alliance, there's the opportunity to receive a one-time status match to Delta at the Silver Medallion level if you were able to take advantage or have some documentation of your "new" bmi elite status. To do so, you should send the information listed below along with a legible copy of a current elite card card or statement from bmi or another airline showing your status in that program and fax this information to "Status Match" at either 404-715-9220 or 404-773-1945 or 404-773-1880. Once your request is received, your SkyMiles account will be updated within ten business days (some times less, some times more). To check the status of your account, just log in using your SkyMiles number and PIN. Your new credentials are typically mailed within 4–6 weeks to the address in your account.

First name
    Last name
    Email address[​IMG]
    SkyMiles number
    Other Airline
    [​IMG]Status on Other Airline

Others may likely have some additional advice and i hope this at least gets you headed in the right direction.