Free Internet - One Device or All Devices?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by DestinationDavid, Feb 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I did a search but couldn't any information on this....

I'm a new Platinum member (not sure how but I got the card in the mail, probably something related to the MegaDO) and will be having my first stay with status at the Hyatt Regency in YUL.

Does the free internet benefit apply to only one device, or can I connect my laptop and my iPad without a fee?

2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it may depend on the property. At the Churchill in London, I was able to connect my iPad & laptop. However, for the properties that have a generic code for wifi use, I don't think you'll be restricted to one or two device.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. I have never had any problems connecting to the free Internet for all my devices at the same time. Even on properties which require you to put your room number and surname to connect to the Internet.

4. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have one of those. It serves as a repeater in my home because I really haven't found much use for it while traveling. I don't think I have had anyone limit me to one device so far. Admittedly I don't travel to nearly as many locations as others here, so my sample set may not be representative.

6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    get a wireless hotspot (or a laptop with the hotspot). You will never have to worry about these problems again

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So far it doesn't sound like I need one based on the info above. If it becomes an issue I may consider it. I only recently started carrying more than one wifi enabled device.

kyunbit likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Turns out I should have got the hotspot. I'm on a Priceline stay and the wiki said the benefits would be honored. Guess I misunderstood something, no free internet for me! :oops:

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? That's surprising. From the Terms and Conditions

3. Daily complimentary Standard in-room internet access will be provided during all stays. Internet access may be wired or wireless and varies by property. If the hotel offers wired and wireless internet services, it is at the hotel's discretion which internet service to provide. Upgrades to premium service may be available for an additional fee.

(under Platinum and Diamond Membership)

Have you checked out yet? If not, I'd bring that to the front desk and ask for the internet charges to be waived. If yes, contact customer care.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, I've only been here a day. The system has a section for a PIN input to access for free, which is how I believe elites are given comp access. I was told I could not have one. :(

11. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd ask another staff member for the code. Perhaps you can bring down your Plat card & mention that you never got one.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You should definitely go ask for a front desk manager. Benefits aren't supposed to be excluded for elite members regardless of the rate/booking method, IIRC.

13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very property dependent. When I was at the Hyatt Arlington, they said, "Do whatever, we'll just remove it from the bill when you check out." When I was at the HR Maui, they were very specific about you only getting one device. You could pay up (~$8/day) for "premium" service that included multiple devices and additional bandwidth. In both cases I logged in each day using my last name and room number, nothing more.

I always ask at check-in anyway just to make sure I do the right thing to avoid complications getting a charge reversed.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hyatt 48 Lex permitted only one device, they were very explicit about that. But at checkout they took all internet charges (two devices) off the bill.

15. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I never stress myself, I've never had difficulty getting a charge reversed that shouldn't have been there in the first place. There are multiple avenues of dispute. :)

16. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whenever this is an issue, I change the MAC address of my laptop to be the same as that of my phone, and then just alternate which one I use.

cliq and FriendlySkies like this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Update: Checked out today and was informed of the Internet charge. I asked again if I was eligible for free Internet based on status. The agent clicked away for awhile and then asked for my elite card. She took it, jotted my Gold passport number on a scrap piece of paper and then said, "Okay, but normally we don't give it for bookings made by outside entities."

I didn't push the issue since she was removing the charge. Hopefully my next stay at Hyatt Regency Waikiki will go better (this was booked through Hyatt though). Was looking for a property in San Juan but looks like they only have a resort in Dorado.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find this is something that varies among all brands and is based upon the nature of the wifi access on site. Most of the time I am only able to use the account on a single device, so much chose between my MacBookAir or iPod Touch. I will update the other device from a separate access code obtained in the Club lounge...where there is a Club lounge. (If I haven't logged my iPod Touch to my hotel account, I'll stand in the doorway of a nearby Starbucks or MacDonald's and download my emails and update some podcasts...)

19. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recommend buying and using a travel router to avoid all the above issues. The one I use (an Asus WL-330ge) is about the size of a pack of cards, is USB powered, and weighs less than a mobile phone. I can register for one connection from any of my devices, and all my devices can use it, and it maintains the connection so I don't have to re-sign in each time I return to the hotel. A travel router really is the cheapest & easiest solution that I have found for these issues.

globalexplorer likes this.
  20. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe this definitely depends on the property. At Grand Hyatt Singapore, I could connect from three devices simultaneously. At Hyatt Regency TST, I was given a second code without asking to be used on another device. Maybe the international properties are more generous.

21. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the fact that we're having this conversation is ridiculous. When are hotels going to stop making it seem like it's some huge privilege to have internet access? You can get it for free at McDonalds these days. I'm sure the provision of hot water and electricity cost a lot more than internet. C'mon hotel industry!

cliq and hotelsallover like this.
  22. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Limiting access to one device is just plain crazy. How about hot water for just one guest as well?

23. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had the Regency SFO tell me that it was only one device, but they would remove the charge for the second one as a one time deal.

24. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    they (SFO, Burlingame) just give you a generic code now and have been doing that for a long time now. it's a card in your key packet. you can use it as many times as you want to. And I've never been charged either way using multiple devices.

-David

25. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always been told to hook all devices to wifi and it would come off the bill. Never have been charged.