Free hot springs around the world

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jan 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.mercurynews.com/travel/ci_24863949/free-hot-springs-around-world

How about easing off those New Year aches with a day-long dip in a hot tub? Such an indulgence may seem like a luxury, but, if you happen to be in the right part of the world, there are countless opportunities to bathe for free in one of the many wild, natural hot springs. Some are barely the size of a puddle, others are huge crystal pools, and most are well-kept local secrets. We've rounded up some of the more accessible hot springs you can visit for a truly natural – and completely free – rejuvenating soak.

Travertine and Hot Creek hot springs, USA

You'll find an abundance of wild hot springs is the Californian sierras, and many of them are easy to reach from nearby towns. One of the most popular is the Travertine hot spring near Bridgeport, where you can bathe in relaxing 37C water while enjoying spectacular panoramic views of the surrounding desert. Another, bigger spring is Hot Creek – a very popular pool that is hearted by magma and would be boiling hot were it not mixed with cold water from the creek. Make sure to pay attention to the signs warning you about the sections of the pool that are scalding.

Travertine Hot Springs, near Bridgeport and Hot Creek, 25 miles south of Lake Mono, California

Read More: http://www.mercurynews.com/travel/ci_24863949/free-hot-springs-around-world

Mapsmith, uggboy, daninstl and 2 others like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are very good books detailing hot springs and the cost or non-cost to use them. The books also detail whether "local custom" is clothed or clothing optional.

Falcon Guides makes
    Touring Hot Springs of Arizona
    Touring Hot Springs of New Mexico
    Touring Hot Springs of Southern California
    Touring Hot Springs of the Pacific Northwest.
    They used to do a Hot Springs of British Columbia and Alberta.

There is a book series on a more regional basis. Hot Springs and Pools of the Southwest. Hot Springs and Pools of the NorthWest. Hot Springs and Pools of Texas (although most of the Texas ones are listed in the Southwest book)

Finally most of the "Naturalist" or "Naturist" Associations (Nudist) will have listings of Hot Springs and Pools where there is little or no cost.

My Favorite Hot Spring (minimal cost but the views are worth it) is Radium Hot Springs in Radium Hot Springs, British Columbia, on the Western slope of the Canadian Rockies.

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Though not free, Mt. Princeton Hot Springs in Colorado are awesome. There are man-made pools as well as, our favorite, just sitting in the natural hot river that flows through. Gotta watch the movement, though, as the heat comes through when the river bed is disturbed.

daninstl and Mapsmith like this.
  4. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    My ex and I visited one of these in Germany and had a lovely time-- just a spring by the side of the road. You just park, strip and hop in. ;-) It was a little sulfur-y but felt great.

daninstl and Mapsmith like this.
  5. aaroncolorado

aaroncolorado Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree with misman, Mt. Princeton Hot Springs in Colorado, although not free, are very unique and one of kind hot springs!
    I took this photo around Christmas time when I was up there. Imagine laying in a delightfully hot pool of water located at the side of a river, snow all around while located in the midst of the beauty of the mountains! Breathtaking and surreal! Photo Dec 27, 4 37 05 PM.jpg

iolaire, daninstl and Mapsmith like this.
  6. hennybogan

hennybogan Member

Status Points:
    On Vancouver Island there is a little town called Tofino. It is located on the West coast of the island, a good 4 hour drive through the moutains from Victoria, and is really beautiful....year round surfing, mountains, the ocean and access to whale watching and hot springs (on a nearby island). You pay a small fee to have a guide take you on a boat over to the nearby island and then have a period of time to bath in one of several hot springs. When you arrive to the island you walk on a really cool wooden walkway to get to the hot spring pools/waterfalls (depending on time of the year). Tofino is a rare jem, and one of the coolest litle towns you'll find anywhere in the world. I never got the touristy vibe there, probably thanks to the location away from the mainland. They have a world class hostel for those looking for budget accomodation and there are plenty of other places to stay too.

Attached Files:

Mapsmith, iolaire and daninstl like this.
  7. Sarunas

Sarunas New Member

Status Points:
    Can you give me directions how to get to the one in Germany?

Mapsmith and daninstl like this.
  8. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    the best hot springs (both free and paid) I have visited are near Pucon, Chile :eek:

there are many pools across the mountain that are unattended and free

however there are cheap little spas up on the mountain where you can lay in a smoking hot pool while sipping some juice, then go lay in a rushing creek bed that is icy cold

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  9. DayInCambodia

DayInCambodia New Member

Status Points:
    maybe i should try one of these hot spings! i haven't experienced one! i was imagining its like on a bathtub with a luke warm water with sulfur on it.

Mapsmith likes this.