Free E+ seating on full flight?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by SK2868, May 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I did a quick search on this, but didn't find anything regarding my question.

I'm flying ICN-NRT on UA at the end of the month and it seems that the flights are full in economy, so I can't pre-select anything but E+ which would cost me $29 for each segment... Will I recieve a E+ seat free of charge at check-in, or will I be stowed away in one of the middle seats in the back if some of them open up?

I've got *G status with SK.

Thanks. :)

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on how many people buy up to E+ at the airport. Chances are pretty good of getting an upgrade if you have a good agent who will probably avoid putting you in E- as long as possible. You may also be able to talk the agent into giving you E+ (no promises, but it never hurts to ask). However, the only way to guarantee an upgrade would be to purchase it.

3. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might happen for you. If you check in but don't assign a seat, the GA will allocate you to whatever is left (which could be E+ but which also could be the last row, middle seat) when they take control of the flight.

Don't expect your *G status to matter in that process. It will mostly be a "go down the list in whatever order it exists and stick butts in seats" process.

Also, keep in mind that the E+ seats most likely to be open at the gate are middles, so if you don't want to be stuck in a middle you would be best served to pay for and assign an E+ seat in the window or the aisle based on your actual preferences.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why take the risk for $29? This seems very reasonable for a good E+ seat on what you know will be a very full flight.

jw3711 and ctporter like this.
  5. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. However I cancelled the trip because it was crashing with some other plans I had already made. I will however probably book TPE-NRT with UA instead next weekend... I'll see what happens then. :)

6. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know the OP isnt going , but I thought that every carrier holds back x % of seats for airport assignment, so the seat map might show it as Full but that will include those blocked seats as well which arent assigned as of yet.

So the problem is in UAs case to checkin after all the E_ have been assigned at the airport but som epeople might ante up the $$ once they find E- will be full or there could those who were able to sweet talk their way into E+ for nothin. Id say its a game with no real way to know who will score the free E+ seats.