Free Checked bags for companions on itinerary

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Filler03, Jun 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looked for a bit and couldn't really find a pinpoint answer so here goes:

I have 8 people traveling on my itinerary, which I used my Chase MP Explorer to purchase. The reservations section on UA says the following:

Checking bags for this itinerary
    Checked baggage service charges are collected at any point in the itinerary where bags are checked. The bag service charges below reflect a maximum outside linear dimension of 62 linear inches (157 cm)

First and second baggage service charges per traveler as listed below:
    1st bag
    2nd bag
    Weight per bag

xx, 2013

Departure to Destination
    $25 $0*
    $35
    50.0 lbs (23 kgs)

xx, 2013
    Departure to Destination
    $25 $0*
    $35
    50.0 lbs (23 kgs)

MileagePlus® Explorer Card member and one companion on the same reservation are each eligible for waiver of the service charge for the first checked bag (within specified size and weight limits). Must be a MileagePlus Explorer Card member at time of check-in, and ticket(s) must have been purchased using the Card in order to qualify. Applies only on United- and United Express-operated flights, and when baggage check-in occurs with United.

My question is, if my other 6 companions check a bag will it charge them the $25? It clearly says "First and second baggage service chargers per traveler" but then shows the clause with the MP Explorer card.​
    Has anybody had success getting free checked bags for more than the cardholder and one companion?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming no elite status you owe for those bags. I have no idea how the systems are programmed for that set of circumstances but you don't have much to o on if you want to challenge it should they ask you to pay.

3. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to report back... successfully got free checked bags for all travelers on my UA itinerary. There were 8 on the confirmation number, however only 4 checked bags. Still more than the cardholder plus one that the T&Cs state.

desamo likes this.