free checked bag with credit card?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by joannelj, Jul 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. joannelj

joannelj Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm paying for a flight on USAirways for my sister to come visit me. I thought about adding my frequent flyer # to her reservation, but I've heard stories about accounts being shut down for stuff like that, so I didn't bother. (No idea if any of those stories were about USAir or AA) I figured I'd pay with my USAirways Premier World card, and at least get some extra points.

After I finished booking the ticket, I was scrolling through all the fine print, and saw that the checked bag fee would be waived for card holders, and I found this page with more info -
    http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/CCBags.html?re=1.
    It mentions specifically to make sure I add my frequent flyer # to the reservation.

So - is it okay for me to add my # to the reservation? Will she be able to get a free checked bag? Or do I actually have to be traveling to get any of these benefits?

Thanks!
    JoAnne

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my understanding you need to travel with her on the same PNR

3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to be the person traveling to receive any of these benefits. It won't allow you to add your AAdvantage number to the PNR because the name on the reservation doesn't match the AAdvantage number.

Although I too wish I could extend some of my benefits to others, it doesn't make any sense for the airline to extend benefits to anyone we want. It would ultimately cheapen what they offer as perks.

4. joannelj

joannelj Active Member

Status Points:
    Oh, well, worth checking on. Thanks for the responses! I only thought it might be possible since I paid for the ticket with the credit card that offers the perks.