Free checked bag with award ticket paid with Mileage Plus card?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by mileagejunqe, May 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mileagejunqe

mileagejunqe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently used miles to pay for a couple award tickets. The taxes and fees for these tickets were paid for with my Mileage Plus Explorer card. The T&C of the card state:

FIRST CHECKED BAG FREE FOR MILEAGEPLUS EXPLORER AND ONEPASS PLUS CARD MEMBERS

[​IMG]
    Primary cardmembers and one companion travelling on the same reservation will receive their first standard checked bag free each time they fly United when they purchase their tickets with their MileagePlus Explorer or OnePass Plus Card (a savings of up to $100 per round trip).
    Terms and Conditions

1. Eligible credit cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United; codeshare flights are not eligible. The primary cardmember's MileagePlus account number must be listed in their reservation and they must pay for their tickets with their qualifying United MileagePlus Chase Credit Card.
    2. One companion traveling on the same reservation with the eligible primary credit Cardmember will also receive their applicable checked bag free.
    Will I get one checked bag free or must the entire ticket be paid for with the credit card? Any experiences with this? TIA.

2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will still get the same checked bag benefit whether you are on a paid or award ticket. Great deal if you check bags with any regularity!

desamo and miles and smiles like this.
  3. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    To somewhat go with this topic: About how long after receiving the card did it take to get the United Club Passes to come in the mail?

4. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got mine less than 2 weeks after I asked for an upgrade to the new deal on the UA card. I had applied back in february and SM chase about weeks ago and just them today.

5. nmasino

nmasino Active Member

Status Points:
    I applied for this card in december, just called to ask for the two free passes which werent offered when i appliedd. She couldnt give them to me but did give me 5k freemiles! I love chase! Of course YMMV

6. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I can SM Chase to get the passes to come in sooner? That seems more like a UA thing no? My issue is I'm going on my honeymoon in June and would like to take my fiancee to the club on the trip (neither of us have ever been there)

7. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    5K miles is nice, but you would love those passes on that trip, especially on long lay-overs