Free baggage with Star Alliance Gold?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Steven Schwartz, Jan 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all-

Losing my Continental status but still have US Air Platinum which also gives me Star Alliance Gold status. Will this give me free baggage allowance on CO/UA flights?

Thanks.

2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the old rule:
    • OnePass Presidential Platinum, Platinum and Gold Elite members, United Global ServicesSM members, MileagePlus 1K® and Premier Executive® members, and Star Alliance Gold members get up to three checked bags free.

URL is http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/CheckedBaggage.aspx#exceptions

Not sure about the combined program although all *A Gold ranks and above in MP get:
    Global Services, Premier 1K, Premier Platinum and Premier Gold members will be able to check up to three standard bags, up to 70 pounds

URL is http://hub.united.com/News/LoyaltyProgram/Pages/introducing-2012-mileageplus-program.aspx

cheepneezy and SpecialK like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, *G gets free bags in the new program, too.

4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - this makes my day. Living in NJ, CO is the airline we travel domestically the most. Great news.

Gtitan, catgirl and IDGflygirl like this.
  5. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember, the technicality is you have to accrue miles to your US Air account to do this. If you don't want to do this, you can try to change your FF# in the record after you check your bags and get to the gate, but I have a feeling this will not be a good work around.

YULtide, catgirl and Steven Schwartz like this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Most of our miles come from credit card spending, not flying, so this is in no way a deal-killer for us. But thank's for the clarification.

avflyer likes this.