Free bag sometimes while traveling on Alaska?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by intueri, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Traveling PDX-KOA, I checked in online and paid for one checked bag. When I dropped off my bag at the airport, the agent said that there was no charge for Delta elites traveling out of PDX, but there would be a charge on the way back. She issued me a refund (which I can expect in four to six weeks). She said she didn't know why, but different stations were doing different things. I hadn't heard of free checked bags at all on Alaska (except when upgraded to first), and the online system obviously didn't recognize it.

Something new? Did I get lucky? Was it my smile?

2. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It must have been your smile ---- AFAIK, AS doesn't have the systems in place yet for Delta elites.

Sounds like the PDX station manager has made the decision to waive the fees at that location until it's implemented systemwide (or perhaps just a lucky one-off experience).

A bit North of Expected (which is, of course, what AS is all about).

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/promo/north-of-expected.asp

Kalboz likes this.
  3. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called Alaska, and they said Diamonds get 2 free bags.

4. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which is the intent of recognizing Delta elites, once it's been fully implemented. There are plenty of reports of one-off waivers of baggage fees, but the IT side of things still has yet to be fully implemented as far as I know.

The AS website has no indication of baggage fee waivers for Delta elites, just for MVP and MVPG.

It's the flip side of the limbo that AS flyers were in for the first 14 months or so after the DL/NW merger. No upgrades, no baggage fee waivers.

If you chat with an AS agent, there's a good chance of a baggage fee waiver, but I don't think the systems are in place yet to make it automatic for every Delta elite for each type of check-in opportunity (online, kiosk, in person). They'll get there, but not apparently just yet.

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last I heard, AS wouldn't be giving DL elites free baggage until May when their systems were updated. It sounds like the OP got a one-off agent who waived the baggage fees.

-RM

6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who thinks the bags should just be free for any delta elites on Alaskan already! If people are getting upgrades, they should get free bags!

Skyvillager likes this.
  7. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You would think it would be easier than it apparently is. [​IMG]

The Alaska elites sure waited a long time for upgrades and baggage waivers on Delta. We were saying the same thing then that you are now.

8. overhead

overhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, AS elites got free bags on DL around the same time DL elites were eligible for AS upgrades (September 2010 or so). Then AS elites started getting upgrades on DL a few months later, while DL elites are still waiting for free bags on AS.:(

9. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I talked to a supervisor last time I was in SEA who told me the Supervisor is able to waive the baggage charges.

10. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's about the right timeframe:

September 1: AS gets free bags, DL gets upgrades
    November 18: AS gets automatic upgrades

The wait I was referring to was for the new DL to bring back what AS had on NW. That was a long wait.

It would be interesting to find out what the delay is here --- AS' IT systems aren't what they used to be, and we're all familiar with problems associated with DL's IT systems. [​IMG]

11. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly, while checking in for my flight back, AS's website let me check up to two free bags (still flying in Y).

12. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you smile at the computer while checking in? [​IMG]

That's an encouraging sign!

13. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I certainly was trying to work my charm, though it was directed less at the computer and more at the cute girl sitting next to me at the business center. Beggars can't be choosers; I'm happy I got a free bag out of it.

dgreen12 likes this.
  14. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah we waited over a year for DL IT to get baggage, and then even longer to straighten out upgrades. Apparently it works now, but haven't had a DL flight since.