Free Admission to National Parks

Discussion in 'Deal Page | Air/Hotel' started by Kalboz, Feb 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    swazzie, iolaire, daninstl and 6 others like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just another "executive order" or perhaps an "executive memo".
    Looks good in theory.

daninstl, Kalboz and satman40 like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    daninstl, Kalboz and satman40 like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Old retired people can buy lifetime admission pass for $10.00

After we paid taxes for many years, and probably will not use the facilities much.

Obama is always giving thing others paid for to make himself look good...

That is the description of a Community Organizer., always looking for something to give away, he did not pay for.

Good for the 4th graders, too bad their are many other cost to a trip.

Nothing more than a political moment.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Counsellor, daninstl and Kalboz like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much prefer free national park access for 4th graders than corporate welfare for large oil companies or military contractors or ...

Much cheaper, too.

Because you are too busy sitting on your porch hollering "Get off my lawn!" at 4th graders? ;)

iolaire, daninstl and Kalboz like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I don't want to drag this thread into politics, giving it to who it belongs to (the American people) is much better than give it to the few (the Koch brothers and their likes)!

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I buy the annual National Park pass nearly very year and consider it one of the great travel bargains out there.

daninstl and Kalboz like this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I assume we (or at least those that pay taxes) pay for these parks as a country of taxpayers. Then the parks service wants to charge us to use the parks but can make it free for certain people. I could go along with all this if the people are say veterans or families of veterans or others that go above and beyond for the country. I don't agree with making it free for 4th graders. Why not make it free for 3rd graders or 10th graders. At all seems silly but this is what happens when you start making people into special classes. Obama would love to bad mouth those that are say 1%'ers that happen to pay most of the taxes for such parks but yet wants to make stuff free for people he graces with his golden staff all in return for votes or support for his agenda. I'm surprised he didn't announce that the parks would be free for illegal immigrants, Cuban Americans and Jewish people or some other voting block.

For some weird reason it reminds me of handicapped parking spots. This has created a special class of people. Sure many people have legit reasons to have this privilege but many people just take advantage of the system by either claiming they have a disability or using another persons pass so they can park close to the door. I wonder how many less people we would have in that realm if the parking spaces ended up in the middle of the parking lot instead of in front of the door? I wonder how many more 4th graders will go to the national parks because of this policy? I wonder how Bank of America pays the parks service to give this perk to credit card holders? I like that 4th graders can go for free but I'd like all Americans to go for free. I'd like to not pay taxes to support parks in exchange for all people paying a fee.

Counsellor, satman40 and Kalboz like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the are many people who scam the system. It is despicable and I personally think that people caught using their grandma's handicap placard to scam free convenient parking should have their car confiscated and sold, with the revenue going towards helping businesses making their facilities ADA compliant.

Funny you should post that on a site that has many members talking about how to "scam" hotel status benefits you are not actually entitled to yourself. Or how to "scam" lower fares by fuel-dropping. Or countless other hustles that people lovingly call "hacks".

Kalboz and daninstl like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was trying to avoid ... dragged this thread into politics!

The so-called 1%ers would not be the billionaires that they are if they were in - say - Uganda. I am sure most of them are industrious and hardworking, but it is he American system (government, education, transportation, etc.) is what enabled them to be well off. The American system which is paid for by all Americans.

The National Parks belongs to all Americans and not only to the taxpayers. But I do agree with you that all Americans should go for free.

Here is the formula on what we pay for the NPS: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/item/100

satman40 and daninstl like this.
  11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So true my friend.
    I like the idea that if you are caught using a cell phone or other distracting electronic while driving a vehicle with handicap plates/placard that you should lose your license. Handicap+cellphone=disaster. Of course I'm a defensive driving instructor as well so I may be biased.

12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The retires permit is good for others in your party, but when you get to a city or state park it is no good., You halve to buy another permits

This announcement was just a suggestion, and will go no where, with a 25 million dollar price tag, to benefit low income people, we need to help the middle income family who works for a living, like I said makes good press., and it was political..

The picture was really great, I like to slowing down of the flowing water...with the ND Filters.

Do not feed the Animals in the National Parks.,

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And contrary to what some might think or might want others to believe (I look at you, "Blonde Anchors News"), there really hasn't been an inflation of executive orders. It fact it has been all going downhill since the inflationary executive order years of - wait for it - Ronald Reagan :)

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/orders.php

Do you want the Federal government to run your state and county parks? ;)

I personally wouldn't mind if there was some sort of nationwide annual pass that would somehow distribute the revenue based on some formula, solely for the convenience of the visitors and to cut the collection overhead. But good luck with that. Could also get quite expensive considering what the annual CA state parks pass costs: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1049

That said, I gladly pay local fees when I visit a state park. Many people waste so much money on "activities" like cable TV premium channel subscriptions or flavored coffee drinks that they really shouldn't have a justification to complain about the small cost of visiting a park.

iolaire likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You buy an annual pass every time you pay your taxes, public land is public land and not private property,

Enough people drawing Welfare to provide the labor to maintain them,

I do wish I had more time to visit more of them, but hey got to work April 15 Is near, donation time.,,

16. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the program exists for more than a year, then my family will benefit from this since one of my kids will start 4th grade in 2016. We've already gone to Shenandoah National Park, but we'll likely plan a National Park trip that we may not have otherwise gone on if the family is granted free admission.

satman40 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  17. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be a much better program if everyone had free admission, for a period of time, let's treat everyone the same, and share the wealth.

We seem to divide the rich from the poor, certain age groups.

I know what it was like to be poor, and if admission was free we still could not afford to take the time off work, or spend the money for travel.

People in this country really has it made, even those who consider themself poor.

It is political, and passing the expenses to someone else, for a press moment.

Most 4th graders would visit parks as a school group, not a family.

Even in today's world the average family has very little spare money, and no real sence of control over their finances..for the responsibles of tomorrow.

I do see The Koch Brothers sharing their wealth, and not running up bills for others,

One thing about rich people they do get religion in their old age and share their wealth, you can not take it with you, half the fun of life is making the money, the other half is sharing it with others.,,

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    Counsellor likes this.
  18. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
    But the government does offer free admission to the parks to everyone on several days each year:

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/feefreeparks.htm

satman40 likes this.
  19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, I did not know that.

As I grew up, I had very little time for vacation, being self employed, and owning a business I could never afford to take a paid day off,

Retired, I do have an opertunity to travel and take a lot if pictures, many of the parks are unreal, as I get to see the sights I have in read about,

Dublin_rfk likes this.