Freddie Awards: Who Wins and Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Randy Petersen, Feb 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Another year of Freddie Awards and frequent flyers from around the globe have earned their opportunity to tell everyone who is doing the best job in rewarding members of these travel loyalty programs. I'd love to hear your thoughts on who your own personal choice is in the following categories:
    Best Promotion, Best Redemption Ability, Best Customer Service, Best Elite Program, Best Loyalty Credit Card and Programs of the Year. And each of these categories are in the following regional votes: Americas, Europe / Africa, and Middle East / Asia / Oceania.

Once I vote I'll tell you mine and look forward to reading your thoughts.

Gee, 25 years as the voice of the frequent flyer. Cool.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Max M, jkunzer, ralfkrippner and 27 others like this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Freddie Awards iPad mini

Week 1:
    Congrats to member: KOA
    Here's the random number and the corresponding number from the draw. Nearly 9,000 members were eligible as being active during the first week of the Freddie Awards. Good luck for next week.
    iPad1list.png iPad1win.png

Week 2:
    Friday Mar 1:
    Congrats to member: Scuzzlebutt
    Here's the random number and the corresponding number from the draw. Over 8,000 members were eligible as being active during the second week of the Freddie Awards. Good luck for next week.
    6838list.png 6838.png

Week 3:
    Friday Mar 8:
    Congrats to member: Gandalf (lucky member, just signed up today and won within hours)
    Here's the random number and the corresponding number from the draw. Nearly 6,400 members were eligible as being active during the third week of the Freddie Awards. Good luck for next week.
    Gandalf.png Week3winner.png

Week 4:
    Friday Mar 15:
    Congrats to member: edekba
    Here's the random number and the corresponding number from the draw. well over 10,000 members were eligible as being active during the fourth week of the Freddie Awards. Good luck for next week.
    w4win.png w4winner.png

Week 5:
    Friday Mar 22:
    Congrats to member: flyaxa
    Here's the random number and the corresponding number from the draw. over 16,600 members were eligible as being active during the fourth week of the Freddie Awards. Good luck for next week.
    14064W5.png week5.JPG

Week 6:
    Friday Mar 29:
    Congrats to member: astraveln
    Here's the random number and the corresponding number from the draw. with Spring Break on hand, over 4,000 members were eligible as being active during the fourth week of the Freddie Awards. Good luck for next week.
    2675W6.png Week6.png

3. Best Airline Redemption = AC for top tier members
    Best Hotel Redemption = ICHG with points and cash and no blackouts for top tiers
    Best Airline Elite Program = AC; they have added a new tier for elites
    Best Hotel Elite Program = ICHG. double room upgrades for RA's
    Best Airline Loyalty Credit Card = AMEX Aeroplan Platinum
    Best Hotel Loyalty Credit Card = Capital One Platiinum Priority Club card. 5 points for dollar spent at ICHG hotels and 2 points for other charges

xoforia, marcwint55, GoodBoy and 2 others like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best Airline Redemption = United
    Best Hotel Redemption = Hyatt
    Best Airline Elite Program = American Air (RIP)
    Best Hotel Elite Program = Hyatt
    Best Airline Loyalty Credit Card = Chase United Explorer card
    Best Hotel Loyalty Credit Card = AMEX HHonors Surpass card

5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Kind of interested in your best elite American RIP comment. You expecting the merger to downgrade that for you in the future? I like that you seem to contrast elite w/ American with United for the other categories. Any quick comparison notes?

marcwint55, GoodBoy and Kalboz like this.
  6. Best Promotion = IHG
    Best Redemption Airline = United
    Best Redemption Hotel = IHG
    Best Customer Service = Lufthansa
    Best Elite Program = IC Royal Ambassador
    Best Credit Card = Chase Sapphire Preferred
    Best Car Rental = Avis/Budget

ExPanAmer and marcwint55 like this.
  7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best Promotion = I don't utilize promos enough
    Best Redemption Airline = United (Delta close second for me with amazing availability to Asia)
    Best Redemption Hotel = Hyatt
    Best Customer Service = Delta
    Best Airline Elite Program = Delta (I'm mid level and haven't flown coach in months)
    Best Hotel Elite Program = Hilton (Crazy upgrades and benefits internationally with just Gold)
    Best Credit Card = Chase Sapphire Preferred (is there any contest?)
    Best Car Rental = Hertz (#1 Club Gold Choice is nice and for me I always have USAA CDP in worst case to save me some money and get me my Under 25 waiver)

marcwint55 and GoodBoy like this.
  8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Is that DL Asia availability on their metal or partner Korean/various China or Vietnam Airlines?

marcwint55 and GoodBoy like this.
  9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both. I have a DL trip booked and return on CZ... though RT was available on DL. Seems that with similar notice as is required on other carriers to get a good partner (like NH first ex LAX on the 777-300er) you can get DL availability ex-LAX to Asia.
    It's all about LAX though. Look at the number of SkyTeam flights to Asia everyday. Now add DL's other partners and you've got a lot of opportunity for redemptions. KE, CI, CZ, MU (though I would only fly their new A330 out of another gateway), to Asia, then add in connections to SFO and SEA on AS (tons of availability) to those same carriers and even DL (lots of ex-SEA availability) and it's hard not to find availability out of LAX. Part of that is the CZ A380 that has tons of open seats but it's also KE and even CI (another airline I'm avoiding).

Even to Europe it's not that bad, especially for me since I travel alone, and TN often has single seats available.

Since I fly DL a lot since they are the best option for domestic upgrades and they fly to most of the places I want and have good fares I've learned to deal with their redemption chart and make it work for me. Though I do like experiencing F that i get with my UA miles I find accessing quality flat bed inventory harder, especially since I categorize UA international as an airline to avoid, much like CI or MU (though I want to try their new planes).

I think for DL to work you really have to be in a sweet spot for availability and I just happen to live in LA. The other great places to live would be HNL (KE and DL to Asia a lot), and NYC. If I was in the middle of the country I'd likely not find DL to be as useful.

Also you mentioned VN. I have not flown VN and am avoiding them. With MH a SkyMiles partner I can find flights in SE Asia to where I want to go on them...and once GA joins up (their product is improving from what I hear) I'll have even another option, though slightly further out of the way.

I am however extremely afraid of Delta starting to price partner awards at levels, as I have actually found what I believe to be testing of this (weird pricing on Asia to Europe awards), but I hope and want to believe it is just DL.dumb.

10. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best Airline Redemption = Don't Know - I'm almost exclusively flying Delta and they can't be the best in this category.
    Best Hotel Redemption = Club Carlson 1 night free on redemptions of 2 or more nights with credit card.
    Best Airline Elite Program = Delta my upgrade percentage domestically is about 90% as a GM.
    Best Hotel Elite Program =Probably Starwood.
    Best Hotel Promotion = ClubCarlson
    Best Airline Loyalty Credit Card = Don't Know
    Best Hotel Loyalty Credit Card = Club Carlson

Thats my voting and I acknowlege it is hampered by a small sample size.

deltagoldLass, edekba and marcwint55 like this.
  11. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    I come into this with a very limited perspective...but by being in the position to prioritize my loyalty travel last year, here's where I stand on the state of the world:

Best Redemption Airline = United (Great availibility out of CMH...for now)
    Best Redemption Hotel = Starwood
    Best Airline Elite Program = United (Only because I'm going for the A3 Gold. My loyalty will be open for bidding once *A Gold is achieved)
    Best Hotel Elite Program = Starwood (Easy access to Gold, and good value stays)
    Best Credit Card = Tie: Chase Sapphire Preferred/AMEX Premiere Rewards Gold/AMEX Platinum (Each have great benefits, depending on what you're looking for)
    Best Airline Loyalty Credit Card = Chase United Explorer card
    Best Hotel Loyalty Credit Card = AMEX SPG (SPG points are flexible and easy to accrue)
    Best Car Rental = National

Max M and marcwint55 like this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just voted and I'm looking forward to seeing the results this year.

GoodBoy and canucklehead like this.
  13. DHArmitage

DHArmitage New Member

Status Points:
    I've voted and have made it known that I'm a big fan of United Mileage Plus and Marriott Rewards

GoodBoy and tommy777 like this.
  14. Around the Block

Around the Block Member

Status Points:
    I just voted and I am a big fan of United Mileage Plus and Starwood Preferred AMEX Rewards. In fact my partner and I are going to Paris in April for 2 weeks for just $345. Hotel on Champs-Elyses free with points from Starwood and airfare (business class) on United Star Alliance partner Luftansa for just $345 roundtrip for both of us!!!!!!! They get my vote every time!!!!!

IDGflygirl, GoodBoy and tommy777 like this.
  15. sun_tiwari

sun_tiwari New Member

Status Points:
    I just voted and I'm looking forward to seeing the results this year.

GoodBoy and tommy777 like this.
  16. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I voted. I hope others voted or better yet, didn't vote for United.

Counsellor, shaunw, GoodBoy and 2 others like this.
  17. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    voted.

I can't believe nobody voted that the Best Hotel Promotion = ClubCarlson. Their promo last year was ridiculousness.

I do believe that w/the huge amount of choices ... one (me especially) only voted for programs that I myself have experienced. Doesn't that put the smaller chain (hotel esp) programs at a disadvantage? This is almost like a popularity contest.

Just saying ...

18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Actually small programs frequently do well in the Freddie Awards, like the big winners in Europe last year Turkish Miles&Smiles and Air Baltic BalticMiles.

Best credit card has been won a couple of times recently by the Alaska Airlines Visa. Even though a whole lot more people have Citibank American Airlines cards or Chase United Visas.

The reason for that is that the balloting is set up to measure intensity of preferences and not just popularity. It isn't 'biggest program wins'.

Voters rank order their preferences, and then the best average ranking of those programs rank by at least 2% of the voters in the category is the one that wins.

A program has to be ranked by enough voters so that it's a meaningful show of support. But once clearing that threshold it's the program that members most prefer that wins.

Small programs, large programs, the ones that members believe are the best do well. Sadly not all voters cast their ballots in exactly the way that I cast my own!!

Cheers,
    Gary

GoodBoy, marcwint55 and edekba like this.
  19. Erndog
    Original Member

Erndog Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that the only carrier you fly? Only hotel chain where you redeem awards? Just wondering . . .

GoodBoy likes this.
  20. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely voted for Best Hotel Promotion being Club Carlson! While I normally stay at SPG hotels for work, I hit up the Country Inn every four or five weeks just to add to the point balance and so far my redemptions in Europe have been well worth it!

21. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best Promotion = HHonors Double Points
    Best Redemption Hotel = Hilton HHonors
    Best Customer Service = United
    Best Airline Elite Program = United
    Best Hotel Elite Program = Hilton HHonors
    Best Credit Card = Abstain from voting :) Not happy with most.
    Best Car Rental = Hertz

HHonors often gets a bad rap in these online forums, but I'm actually very pleased with them: often get suite upgrades, welcome amenities, and the points seem to keep piling up and up.

IDGflygirl, shaunw, mht_flyer and 2 others like this.
  22. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's no car rental category though :)

shaunw, GoodBoy, tommy777 and 2 others like this.
  23. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best Promotion = Club Carlson
    Best Redemption Hotel = SPG
    Best Customer Service = AA
    Best Airline Elite Program = United
    Best Hotel Elite Program = Hilton HHonors
    Best Credit Card = Sapphire Preferred
    Best Car Rental = Avis

GoodBoy and marcwint55 like this.
  24. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best Promotion (Airline): AA Thank You promotion
    Best Promotion (Hotel): Club Carlson SOGO
    Best Redemption Ability (Airline): AA AAdvantage
    Best Redemption Ability (Hotel): SPG / Club Carlson
    Best Customer Service (Airline): AA
    Best Customer Service (Hotel): SPG
    Best Loyalty Credit Card: Club Carlson / Amex SPG / Amex MR
    Program of the Year (Airline): AA
    Program of the Year (Hotel): Club Carlson

Club Carlson has really stepped up their game. Their SOGO promo was very generous (hope they repeat it!), their new credit card is a keeper in my wallet. While their properties in the US are not necessarily aspirational, I was very impressed by the ones I stayed at in the Middle East and Europe

GoodBoy and marcwint55 like this.
  25. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points: