Fractured Ankle - Still want to go to New Orleans and Key West..worth it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by cheryld, Nov 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, so..I fell last Friday, twisted my ankle and have a small fracture in my ankle. I had planned on going to Key West in a few weeks, staying 2-3 days and then traveling to New Orleans for 3-4 days. I have never been to either location. I have one of those obnoxious walking boots and I would say that my usual pace is compromised by about half.
    The question is...should I still go? I can cancel it all with no penalty - but I know people travel much more compromised than this stupid injury. I was thinking of possibly just going to NOLA and keeping Key West for another time.
    Would really appreciate the forum's insight and advice. :)

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does your doctor say?

3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    That much walking most certainly could aggravate your ankle even though you are splinted and apparently able to bear full weight. Since you can cancel without issue I would be inclined or postpone the trips personally. Both of those places are easy to get too without much planning.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having broken a leg three weeks ago and still being in a boot through the end of November, I've canceled my end-of-December international itinerary because I know I'll still be recovering and don't want to risk ice/snow. Sure, yours is NOLA/Key West, but the less walking you can do (and the more elevating) the better. NOLA and Key West will still be there and are easy to get to... I'd postpone it.

For me, we're going to find an appropriate domestic destination instead... someplace that doesn't involve walking all over the place.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    New Orlans is a good walking city, so I probably wouldn't go if I couldn't walk around...

With Key West, it depends... if you're planning to party and hang out / walk around, then you might as well not go. If you're going to relax and snorkel or whatever, then it doesn't really matter IMO.

6. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, thanks for your replies. My doctor said I could go. As for the snorkeling...that is what I really wanted to do and I was told that he would not recommend it. It would compromise my healing this early into the process. So, I could go and just sit on the beach and drink..which doesn't sound that bad or wait for another time. :)

MSYgirl and viguera like this.