FRA, VIE, BCA or other for MLK weekend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by GreekDeno, Nov 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    My brother in law and I want to take a long weekend in Europe someplace. He's coming from SFO or LAX on BA using miles and I'm coming from DEN on *A paying. We originally thought LHR, but both want to go someplace new. Any recommendations? We would like to see some sights do tourist stuff, but mostly hang out in a new city drinking and eating the local fare. We're leaning toward VIE, but are very open to ideas.

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    VIE is lovely. I just spent a week and a half there. If you go, visit the Karlskirche -- they have a renovation in progress and there's a temporary elevator up into the church's dome. For food, the famous schnitzel is to be had at Figlmueller, the ritzy Tafelspitz can be found at Plachutta, and I highly recommend both Griechenbeisl (fancier; look for a dish served with a pumpkin risotto) and Cafe Diglas (lower key). 3.60EUR train ride into town from the airport; skip the CAT express train. Consider going to the opera. Standing room tickets are 3-4EUR.

Other ideas: PRG? AMS? CDG? LIS?

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Barcelona (BCN) you might even see the sun. Spain is also one of the best countries for people with jetlag. When they sit down to dinner at midnight, it's only 4 or 5 PM for you.

viguera likes this.
  5. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everybody. We settled on PRG. Thur-Tue. I'll do some research obviously, but any recommendations off hand?