Four Seasons Vancouver

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by TRAVELSIG, May 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just completed a recent stay at the Four Seasons Vancouver. Results as follows:

Arrival- I took the Canada Line service from the airport to the Centre of the city- only 24 minutes door to door and then a quick walk across the street to the Four Seasons.

Checkin- Very effecient. Welcomed back. Curiously no explanation of Virtuoso benefits at all although I did receive a one class upgrade.

Room- Good. Not Great. Minor annoyance that the minibar is completely empty "for your convenience". This is one of the last Four Seasons still to have the combo bath/shower FYI and you can tell the bathroom was built in an era when hotels had different ideas about what a bathroom should be. The rooms were all refreshed prior to the Olympics so the hotel is in good shape.
    Internet- Terrible. Login has a pop up window that comes up everytime your browser refreshes. Speed is very slow unless you choose the more expensive option.

Room Service- Excellent. On Time and as ordered.

Yew (Restaurant)- High Point of the hotel. Very good lobster and excellent service. I would come back for this alone and ate there twice during a 4 day stay.

Drycleaning- Good service although very expensive by Vancouver standards ($14 for a shirt + taxes).
    Virtuoso benefits- The night before checkout the hotel delivered a letter outlining the benefits. They were all honored however so no issues.

Checkout- One accidental charge posted however removed immediately when I pointed it out.

Conceirge- Did not use as I used to live in Vancouver.

Overall Verdict- This is still my choice hotel in Vancouver- the ShangriLa certainly has a better physical property however service is a disaster, and my understanding is that the Hotel Georgia is still working a lot of bugs out. My one real complaint I would like the hotel to fix is the Internet- please get rid of the service with popup windows and include it in the rate. My one big compliment is to Yew which has broken the mould of boring Italian restaurants at many Four Seasons and is a true destination restaurant in the heart of Vancouver with excellent food, service, and ambience.

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here once ages ago. I was similarly pleased. Glad it has held up.

perryplatypus, TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed here many times in the past few years- the staff are really the very best team in Vancouver. Maybe one day they will re-open Chartwell (the fine dining restaurant which was superb and closed in 2009)- that would up the ante even more. Remodelling the bathrooms and putting in stand-alone showers (I am sure this would be a truly massive job) and this would be a very special hotel indeed.

uggboy likes this.
  4. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must be nice to stay here. I use Priceline and get Bayshore, Hyatt, Marriott Pinnacle ad 4* hotels but nothing like you have described.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a stay 3, pay 2 special on at the moment. If you consider that as a 33% discount then the rates of the Four Seasons Vancouver become quite competitive with the Hyatt and the Bayshore.

6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    when you win price line bid at Bayshore it can be $90 taxes included. So doubt it's similar even with 33% off.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip! I will have to check that out for the Bayshore- I have never seen rates even close to that there. You are correct that the FS won't come in at $90.