Four Seasons Toronto - the dowager Four Seasons

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by ChicagoEric, Aug 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Talk about tired.

Physical plant has to be the worst in the Four Seasons chain (although last time I visited Vancouver it was showing it's age too). Worn carpeting , drapes that were literally shedding tassles. And then there is the decor. Let's just say my grandmother was more stylish and she passed away several years ago. Bathrooms - even in my one-bedroom suite - like an older Marriott.

So the service must have been excellent, right? Otherwise the Four Seasons management company - the chain that chased Aviara into the arms of Park Hyatt because the owners didn't want to spend enough to meet FS management's plans to 'upkeep the brand' - wouldn't allow the hotel to remain open.

My experience? Pretty poor service too:
    - Room service late, no phone call to let me know
    - Subsequent tray removal took half an hour
    - Room not serviced when I asked
    - Constant internet issues (turned out to be known incompatibilities with iPads - that no one bothered to mantion to me)
    - Internet problems outsourced to 1-800-Call-ATT. Seriously. I was just transfered to the generic number. After hours of frustration, I spoke with hotel manager. Her reaction? We know there are problems with iPads. Gee, thanks for letting me talk to the AT&T call center. It was fun.
    - No attendant in health club, mess not cleaned up

So the new hotel is supposed to open next summer - "we hope" - but sounds like more than a year away. They are keeping this old bird alive until next March - and no doubt she'll use the title "Four Seasons" for the rest of her days, but the hotel experience is not what I suspect Uncle Isadore would like us to think of when we think "Four Seasons."

Pros: The Four Seasons bed. Literally the only reason I booked this room. And it really is quite nice. I slept well.

Cons: Everything else.

N.B. Occupancy was 97% the three days I was there and average room rate was C$227. How do I know this? The staff left their daily briefing sheets (which listed every VIP staying in the hotel as well as a long list of service glitches) out every single day. Classy. But the take-away is: maybe it's just me. Maybe it's cut-rate rooms. Or maybe that amazing bed really is enough of a draw...

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been reported that the Four Seasons Toronto will be taken down when a newly built FS Hotel opens up in the city!;)http://www.fourseasons.com/toronto-new/

3. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    yep - and they tell you about it all the time.

for example, 'we can't fix the internet because we don't want to invest in this property because we are opening our new hotel next summer. or possibly fall.'

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    New property = Non investment in existing property!:confused:

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  6. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Also understand there is a new Shangri-La opening as well, though unsure when...

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be great indeed, after they have opened the Vancouver property a few years ago, now expanding to the East Coast! Ideal! Need to find out more!;)

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shangri-la is still under construction, about as advanced as the new Four Seasons. Ritz Carlton opened a couple of months ago. Too bad about the old lady at Yorkville and Avenue Road...she was the flagship of the chain, though the original Four Seasons was an upscale two-story motel on Jarvis Street, then the brand really got defined at the Inn on the Park in suburban Leaside/Don Mills. The Yorkville property took over the original Regency Hyatt. (Ironic now that the Park Hyatt moved into the old Park Plaza across the street.)

uggboy likes this.
  10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would hardly call Toronto "the East Coast"! ;)

uggboy likes this.
  11. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Thompson is seriously the best hotel in Toronto, in my opinion.
    An amazing combination of great product, outstanding people and a good location.
    The only downside: no points!

uggboy likes this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shangri-La is a wonderful group of hotels in general- however Vancouver has gone badly downhill. Let's hope Toronto is different. I have actually never stayed in a hotel in Toronto I thought was anything special or even great- OK is typically as good as it gets.

13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about the King Edward?

uggboy likes this.
  14. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed the building is being advertised here in YYZ as condominiums "coming soon" priced from $300,000 and up.

15. Easy Victor

Easy Victor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I gave up on the FS Toronto years ago because of the same issues the OP wrote about. Then tried the Park Hyatt- it was nice for a while, but then went really downhill quickly. Two weeks ago, spent a couple of nights at the Hazelton. Quite pricey. The room was nice, but not nice enough for the price. Location was great, staff and service were both wonderful.

I am going to try the new Ritz Carlton on my next visit.

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's OK but quite tired. Certainly not in the FS league (even this run down FS).

milchap likes this.