Four Seasons could be world's highest hotel

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Sep 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Four Seasons could be world's highest hotel:)

A Four Seasons Hotel will form part of the world's tallest tower — with a height of over 1 kilometre — currently under construction in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/12071-four-seasons-could-be-worlds-highest-hotel/

[​IMG]

The $1.2billion Kingdom Tower, with a total construction area of more than 500,000 sq m, will easily surpass Dubai’s Burj Khalifa, which is currently the world’s tallest building with a height of 828m.

The mixed-use building will also feature Four Seasons serviced apartments, office space, luxury condominiums and an observatory expected to take the title of the world’s highest observation deck.

The complex will contain 59 elevators, including 54 single-deck and five double-deck elevators, along with 12 escalators. Elevators serving the observatory will travel at a rate of 10 meters per second in both directions.

Media reports earlier this year had suggested that the tower could be as large as 1,600m tall, making it twice as high as its nearest competitor.

The deal to build the tower was signed last week by Kingdom Holding, the Saudi firm owned by billionaire businessman Prince Alwaleed, with Binladin Group, one of the kingdom’s biggest contractors.

The tower is be located in the first phase of Kingdom City, a 5.3m mixed-use development north of Jeddah, which overlooks the Red Sea and Obhur Creek.

lwkatya, cennas and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone predict when the pissing contest for the world's tallest building will finally stop? I can swear the Park Hyatt in Shanghai had this title just a few years ago.

lwkatya and uggboy like this.
  3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the world's highest hotel now is the Ritz Carlton Hong Kong at the ICC tower and it hasn't even opened for 1 year and now there's another one ready to dethrone it.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are indeed correct- Ritz Carlton Hong Kong opened earlier this year. I really don't see the advantage of "world's tallest building". Tall buildings are sometimes interesting for their architecture, however once above the 50th floor there are very few days where it is is even interesting.

cennas and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is the highest hotel in the world, for now at least!:cool:

lwkatya likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The views from the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong Lounge are fantastic and far-reaching!:)

lwkatya and cennas like this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true and an excellent point uggboy- however this can also be said for the Peninsula, the Four Seasons, the Shangri-La, the IC (former Regent) in HKG... I have even had some great views from the Sheraton! So- going up up and away, while novel, is not always an advantage.

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed! Many great views to be had in Hong Kong from many great hotels, but the sheer height of the Ritz-Carlton makes it more awesome to go up!:) I just remember our 53 seconds going up with the elevator attendant, ear popping to say the least!:)

lwkatya, cennas and TRAVELSIG like this.
  9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure they are! Although, it seemed that every time I was in HK, sunny and clear days were few and far between :)

lwkatya, uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really- you must have been there at a very strange time (as in Hong Kong sunny days are 100% on all days not ending with the letter "Y" in english).

lwkatya, cennas and uggboy like this.