Four Seasons Costa Rica - Did the right thing!

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by NYBanker, Jun 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a Christmas booking for a one bedroom canopy room at this property for Christmas 2011. My booking was made through Amex PTS.

The cancellation terms were clear, with a 50% of the total stay penalty (equal to the deposit I made at time of reservation) for cancellations made after May 31.

Late in May, I decided I wanted to go to FS Kona for Christmas instead. I called PTS to cancel the reservation on the 27th of May.

I just got my Amex bill, and the refund wasn't processed. While I know these things can take unto 4 to 6 weeks, usually they appear in a few days. Uh oh.

I called pts this morning and they didn't have the booking shown as cancelled. I had the name of the agent that i cancelled with - but at the office, not at home.

In any event, pts called the hotel - explained the situation - and the hotel agreed to a cancellation and a full refund.

While I am confident that I would have prevailed (having the date and time of my call, a phone record to show I called, and the name of the agent and her extension), this being a 5-digit deposit, I figured a little bit of drama would have ensued before prevailing.

I remain keen to go to the FS-CR, but think it will be better for me when my kids are a little older. Their kind actions today reinforce my appreciation of FS and this property specifically. This was very generous to do on the part of the hotel. They may have a waiting list at this point, so perhaps - and hopefully - it will cost them nothing - but it was very kind of them either way. I look forward to a proper stay at this property in the coming years when my kids are a bit older.

I will also follow up with pts during the week, and will call the agent that I cancelled with to politely discuss what transpired and the gasp I had this morning when I called pts and found out they didn't have a record of a cancellation. Over the years, I've cancelled numerous bookings with pts and never had this happen. Disappointing, however, to have it happen even once.

I share this to remind everyone to save their cancellation details - just in case - and as praise for a property which went out of its way to accommodate a canceling customers.

sobore and TRAVELSIG like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really glad to hear this turned out well NYBanker and good job from Four Seasons.

NYBanker likes this.
  3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, the better the hotel the more willing they are to accommodate without argument!

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Within reason- even the best hotels should not be expected to have significant/unreasonable economic impact- however in this case, the hotel did the right thing- which is great.

5. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear you had a good experience. Had a similar situation with the Peninsula in Bangkok, which also did the right thing.

Off topic - love Hualalai, but have never stayed over the holidays. In fact, have heard that there is a waiting list for "Festive Season" reservations. Were you on the waiting list or is there more availability this year?

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to get a booking in mid-May for festive season this coming Christmas. Suites were full, but they had two confirmed connecting Oceanfront rooms available which I took.

We usually travel on the earlier side of the season, and return home shortly after Christmas. In making this booking, I stumbled upon a bit of an arbitrage: the first night of my stay is not during their festive season. Even though the vast majority of my stay is during the season, the non-holiday rules apply and I just have a two week cancellation policy (compared to the 90+ day policy for bookings that start within festive season). While I have no plans to cancel, it's nice to have a bunch more optionality...just in case!

Ive never been to the big island before and am really looking forward to this trip.

7. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is really interesting - thanks for sharing.

Re: big island - my wife and I love it and have been several times. Have been to all the FS in Hawaii and there is no contest, Hualalai is far and away the best property. The Lodge at Koele, while not particularly "Hawaii," is really nice too, but Hualalai is in another league.

NYBanker likes this.
  8. I stayed at "Los Suenos" resort in Jaco, CR and had an amazing time. Jaco is a bit off the beaten path and you have to take a van to get to the city, but it was well worth it. It is a lazy surfer town that hasn't succumb to extreme tourism. For those of you with a big appetite they had a ten dollar all you could eat lobster down on the water.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.