Four Points vs Elements near Times Square in NYC

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by KyRoamer, Jan 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is best for a one night stay? Arrive on Friday and leave Saturday. Comfortable bed first priority. Shower and bathroom second. Ability to print boarding passes third. Free breakfast distant fourth.

flyingdawg and marcwint55 like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would choose the Element.

They have the Heavenly beds, which are much better than the 4 Pts.
    The Element has showers with the rainfall showerheard. I dislike the 4Pt bath amenties and dispensers, so Element wins by default. I also think the Element has a kiosk for printing BPs. They have free wifi and a business center, so you could always check in and print your bp at a kiosk at the airport.

I think Element also has a free breakfast, but you are in NYC, you will find something for your appetite!

If you guys have time, give me a shout and if I am in town, it would be good to see you again.

3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear water pressure does not drive the shower head well and that elevator service is show. They say there is a gay bar/drag show next door but that may add interest to the street scene. Some say the rooms are smaller than at 4 PTs.Early on someone said that they used artificial bacon at breakfast. Its web site says Turkey Bacon and Pork Sausage. I guess that is where the artificial bacon comment came from.

We lean towards Elements. It seems newer. We like having the business center. The beds seem better. The last is enough by itself.

4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard the rooms are smaller at elements, but it is NYC! ;)
    As for drag show, who doesn't love a drag show! :D As the 4pts is on the same street, either way you may see the same stuff!

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would second the vote for elements.

flyingdawg and canucklehead like this.
  6. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love that Element. They have a free happy hour for all guests w/food & wine/beer. Here's my review from June 2012. Even though the rooms are small, they're ok. The biggest draw back for me is that in the standard room, the air conditioner is directly next to the bed and it was annoying at night. I like the larger roomer better. If I had to choose, I would still pick the Element over the 4Points.

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. PHCaswell

PHCaswell Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at both hotels back to back this past November. I would agree that the Elements is the preferred hotel given my observations.

The elevator at the Elements does run slow if the hotel is full.

However, during my stay at 4pts, the following night, I felt the lobby was doubling as a Bus waiting area. People and baggage were sitting and stacked everywhere. I noticed this both during checkin and checkout for my one night stay.

Upon checking out my assumptions were correct when a large bus pulled up and people jumped up as if storming the gate when an airline just announced boarding.

Trying to get out the door was impossible until people and their bags were outside near the bus.

I'm not sure if this happens regularly but it did have an impact on my decision to stay there again in the future.

8. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    An additional data point.*

I stayed at Elements in September 2012. I thought it was great.
    The elevators are small and seem slow but there are only about 8 rooms per floor. The rooms have a small sofa seating area and a real kitchen with large refrigerator, stove top, microwave and dishwasher, too. While an overnight stay would not require these appliances, they are a nice addition.
    The shower was really nice and the bathroom was spacious. Water pressure was good. The h bed was Heavenly and there was good wifi.
    I didn't go to the free breakfast or wine things. It seems that Elements was popular on a group tour that day and there were quite a few travelers checking out at the same time as I did on Sunday morning. But I had no trouble getting a taxi to the airport.
    I would definitely stay again!
    * two cents from a Manhattanite escaping from her apartment

9. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. We are staying at Elements for 12,000 Starwood points. Figuring what the cost would be with taxes, that is over 2 cents a point. Not great but not bad either.