Four Points Penang - Is it on the beach?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by estnet, Sep 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a new hotel opening soon. Does anyone know if it is on (or within walking distance) of the beach and/or local eating stalls?

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  2. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I looked on google maps it appears to have access to the beach. It appears to be a rebrand of a beach hotel. Waiting for my buddy from penang to answer.

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  3. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to their facebook page, they're on the beach, have sea view rooms and beach access.

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks - the "artist rendering" pics are sort of helpful but having a seaview doesn't equate to a useable beach, so any inside info is helpful! I looked at google maps too, but they aren't always the most reliable. If it is a rebrand it would be great to know what it used to be.

uggboy likes this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just answered my own question - according to google this used to be tanjung bungah beach resort and from those pics is on the beachfront! Any further info appreciated. I did call *wood and they don't even have a phone number for the hotel yet (interesting), but did offer to email them. Since the facebook info I could see suggested they'd been doing extensive publicity in early Sept odd that corporate doesn't have a phone for them.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    a description I read stated the property "We are the first hotel along Tanjung Bungah with its own private stretch of beachfront." I wonder if that is a good thing as I've seen hotels that are the first along a stretch of beach that are not worthwhile due to location (kind of off in a weird "island of themselves") or the first hotel has a very busy road by them as they are the first hotel (so all the traffic has to go by the hotel to get to the other properties).

In one of these photos, it does appear that the hotel is on a highway or at least a substantial road http://www.penang-hotels.com/bungah/photos.htm
    I'm especially keen on the latter question

uggboy and Singapore Flyer like this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    My buddy got back to me...but he was lacking in his answers. He said that the beach closer to Batu Ferrhangi (sp?) is better as he would go kayaking around the 4Ps as a teenager. This is SEA, i think there will be food everywhere. :p However, again, the food places that he told me that were top notch were closer to BF.

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, even tho the hotel service seems lacking so far (email sent asking the above questions from my Plat. concer. have not been answered by the hotel) I've booked a few nights mid Oct (breaking my own rule about not staying in a hotel too close to opening) so I'll be able to report first hand shortly.

Sweet Willie and Singapore Flyer like this.
  10. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    well, we are going to Penang in February. Love to hear first hand thoughts on the 4P. Leaning towards HI as it is on Jn BF. Waiting to hear from buddy if there is a good non chain or if his rental property is available.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay - here are my observations. I have to say that the hotel changed one of my reservations to another month - which I was lucky to notice and get corrected before there was a major disaster. Very poor resolution of problem by the hotel and spoke with GM who said he would get back to me but never did!

Long review below

the hotel is newly opened and location is good if you want to be on a small beach without the hawkers, etc. rooms are clean, but lacking in many respects - suite has a kitchen/microwave but no dishes or utensils. Bathroom is designed with no shower door so any shower will flood the entire floor and there is no way to avoid this! The faucet in the sink is too short so when you wash your hands you hit the back wall of the sink. Looks are good but functionality is terrible - can't imagine who would allow a design like this.

The staff are very friendly but appear mostly untrained and unable to handle or follow up on any issues. Room cleaners and most staff(chefs) in restaurant speak neither English nor Malay which makes communication difficult and service/food issues impossible to resolve easily. Chefs don't know what is on offer and there aren't signs - asked what a dish was - first chef didn't speak English, second one told me it was rendang - which I doubted since it was the wrong color and consistency - in fact it turned out to be an exceptionally spice sambal! I think the staff are from India and don't know much (if anything) about Malay food.
    The restuarant - only ate breakfast which has a large variety for this level, BUT hot food is cold - hot plates are not turned on, food is not replaced, staff cannot keep up with volume (inadequate staffing), and food that is available has no one to serve it nor any sign that it is available (only found out b/c saw someone getting noodle soup).

The good - if you get a room on the sea side you'll have a lovely view (if on higher floors). But the other side is right on a main road with no view (and I would think traffic noise). Prices in the restaurant are reasonable but given the poor quality of the food served for breakfast I never tried it).

The frustrating - staff seem to want to do a good job but appear to be completely lacking in direction. Things were so bad in the restaurant that I asked if there was a food manager assuming there wasn't one, but I was told there was. This person was never evident, nor was any apparent direction being given to staff or to any quality control, etc.

The place has potential and is very popular with the locals (which is good but also leads to the place being overrun with children - more than the facilities really can manage), but there is a LOT of training and better management needed to make it reach the potential that exists!

I had good Plat. recognition (but probably b/c of an "angel" who worked behind the scenes) others have reported different experience. There is a local hawker group 5 minute walk from the hotel that is only open at night, but has a good variety of choices, The hotel runs a complimentary shuttle (which I only found out about b/c the driver who picked me up mentioned it) to a large shopping mall once a day I think. The directions I was given by the shuttle driver about where to get a local bus back were completely wrong so I waited 2 hours in vain! (It was a bus stop where buses apparently don't stop the correct place is on the other side of the shopping center) Should be easy to get back to the hotel by bus if you know the right place.
    BTW - the hotel arranged pick up from the airport is the same price as the local taxi (or so I was told and this seems to be true) 55 ringgit - driver was waiting with an ipad showing the name of the hotel (but not my name ;) )and was friendly. It's a long drive from the airport and traffic can be quite bad so having a fixed rate is nice.

12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks @estnet for the detailed review ! Too many here never post of their stay experience.

13. abraxis

abraxis Active Member

Status Points:
    I have also been to the 4 Points Penang; I was there in October and had a sea view room. It was nice. The beds were new and firm. The staff is a bit green but eager about their jobs. Plat recognition was fine. The location is a bit remote; no convenience stores or anything of the sort within walking distance of the hotel. This hotel is popular with locals; westerners tend to stay in the self contained resorts further down the road. No washing machines/laundry facilities. There is a small mall about 5 minutes down the road via bus; it has a Tesco and various restaurants.