Four Points Minneapolis Airport (Minnesota) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This newly reflagged (spring 2011) property is by far the closest Starwood hotel to the MSP airport, although it is still about four miles from the airport. Free shuttle service (they say 24/7) is offered to/from MSP and the Mall of America. Free outdoor parking in available. Because this property is technically located in Richfield (it's just north of I-494 at Lyndale, one exit east of the intersection of I-494 and I-35W, roughly along the 77th Street West access road) it may not appear at the top of airport hotel lists as MSP is in Bloomington. Even though the Four Points and also the Westin Edina Galleria are closer to the airport, some lists show the Sheraton Minneapolis South as the first Starwood property because it is located in Bloomington, despite it being more than twice as far from the airport.

This is a Category 2 hotel which describes itself as full service. It has a restaurant and lounge and an indoor pool and health club. Rooms have coffee makers and some have whirlpool baths (higher category, so generally more expensive). There is a "club floor" which offers a buffet breakfast.

Be careful about room rates if you make a reservation here. On random dates, I've noticed that the AAA and some prepaid rates exceed BAR. I consider a $229 AAA rate ridiculous for a Four Points in suburban Minnesota. Similarly, I would question whether the buffet breakfast is worth a $30 club floor premium for one person.

I hope this property offers local or park-and-fly rates in the future. It could be a convenient Starwood option for this purpose.

2. Minneapolis
    Original Member

Minneapolis Active Member

Status Points:
    What was this property before it re-flagged?

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This Four Points sells "Club Level" rooms even though the property has no lounge. These rooms on the top floor (of five) are given to SPG elites. They include coupons for buffet breakfast in the restaurant and a drink; coupons will also be given to any SPG Plats who are not assigned rooms on the top floor.

All rooms include bottled water (two) and free internet for everyone. The "deluxe" rooms have spa whirlpool tubs. All other rooms have combination tub/showers.

The hotel offers airport shuttle service 24/7, every 30 minutes to the airport and on demand from the airport. The trip should take about ten minutes, roughly a mile and a half.

There are airport parking packages for which there are discounted AAA rates, as well as regular AAA rates with and without breakfast. I also noticed a rate package with a free gas card on a two night stay at a special rate code. Weekends seem to generally be cheaper.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was the Ramada Minneapolis Airport West in Richfield.

It's located on Lyndale, about a block north of I-494, one exit to the east of I-35W. This puts it somewhat west of most of the hotels on the I-494 corridor near the airport and Mall of America; it's certainly not the closest to the airport of the airport hotels. The closest light rail station would be MOA, although if the free shuttle only serves the airport, one could easily use the light rail station in either of the terminals.

ADDED: If you are driving east on I-494, you can see the hotel and a separate sign for it very easily. It's on your left hand side, north of the expressway. You want to take the first exit after the big cloverleaf with I-35W, Lyndale Avenue and follow Lyndale north over I-494 about a block.

Going west from the airport on I-494, I don't think you can see either the sign or the hotel building (with its sign in the standard and distinctive Four Points colors). However, taking any exit strictly between state route #77 and I-35W should do the job; bear to the north and follow the access road (East 77th Street) toward the west, do not cross over any expressway, and you should see the hotel just before the intersection of East 77th Street and Lyndale Avenue.Going west, it's several exits after you pass the Mall of America and IKEA on your left hand side.