Four Points by Sheraton, Sydney - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Leumas, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of three Starwood properties in Sydney. While this property is not necessarily in the same league as its silblings, it is a solid property and isn't in the same price range as the other two. This property is located right in the middle of the tourist areas - one side overlooks Darling Harbour. It's also a short 5 mins walk to the middle of the CBD.

Being a Four Points, it doesn't have many features as the other properties. There is no lounge, and no pool (but there is a gym). The furnishing and carpet is showing its age. Having said that, the past few months see the property replacing all CRT TVs with LCDs. There are also plenty of eatery options both within the hotel (it has a couple of pubs and restaurants next door, which you can charge to your room). Of course, there are plenty of other options at Darling Harbour and King Street Wharf, although some people may consider them to be rip-offs at a tourist location.

One major strength of this hotel is its recognition of SPG status. This property has a number of suites and 'studios'. Assuming you book the lowest room category (cityside, i.e., no view), you can still get a harbour side room (sometimes suite) or a cityside suite as a Gold. As a Platinum, you'll often get a harbour side suite or a maritime studio, which is a corner room with floor-to-ceiling windows and balcony overlooking Darling Harbour. For example, with this particular stay of mine, I booked it merely 2 hours prior to arrival, and I still managed to get a maritime studio with a superlow rate. The suites and studios also have a microwave and full cutlery if you want to nuke something instead of eating out all the time.

Recently, this hotel has become 100% smoke-free.

As I said, while it's not as good a hotel as other Starwoods in Sydney, its lower price means it is still a competitive option.

Pros:
    - Lower price than the other Starwoods in Sydney
    - Excellent SPG recognition

Cons:
    - Beginning to show its age
    - No pool

Below are some photos that I took in previous stays:
    http://twitpic.com/3j7son
    http://twitpic.com/3j7sof

Flews likes this.
  2. airoli
    Original Member

airoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with all the pros and cons mentioned, and I do like this hotel for what it is.
    This is definitely true. I've stayed a few times, first as a Gold then a Plat, and the rooms got nicer every time I was there. The last time, I was upgraded to a large harbor view suite and a nice cheese + wine platter was delivered to me. This all on a low corporate rate. [​IMG]

3. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    in the photos, which building was the 4Pts

4. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    neither. photos are the view from the maritime side rooms (looking across Cockle Bay to Pyrmont).
    1st link shows the Novotel and Ibis, 2nd link Ibis and Star City

5. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    My choice of SPG hotel in Sydney because of price,position,recognition and because my favourite Greek restaurant,Medusa,is just around the corner-their lamb is fantastic.

6. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always worth checking your CC statement. A first for me but this 4P recently billed me twice for the same stay. Removed after a call but do not expect this to happen

Jeff

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm bumping this up because it should be merger with the second master thread for this property by the SAME OP, started today.