Four magically cheap dates to fly

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by perryplatypus, Oct 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    January 6th is often also a good date as it's just far enough past New Year's.

8MiHi, perryplatypus and Blue Skye like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found 01 and 02 January are great for longhaul premium class tickets.

8MiHi and perryplatypus like this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely agree with Thanksgiving day as a great day to travel. I have also found the Friday after to be quite good as well. While it is not quite at the lowest fare level, flying the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and returning on the Friday after from EWR to Florida has proven substantially cheaper (by half or less) than anything touching either weekend surrounding Turkey day.
    I agree that a week after New Year's day is often cheap, but also flying on New Year's day can work, too.
    My son has found that flying to most cities in Europe over Thanksgiving week (but not on the weekends) have also been available at bargain rates. This year he is taking his Girl to Florence. In prior years they have gone to Paris and Geneva at excellent fare rates.

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to get a week past NYE for Hawaii or the Caribbean, usually. Thanksgiving and Christmas in Europe can be cheap; I spent last Christmas in Venice (but waited too long to look for airfare).

Sent from somewhere near an infinite loop

daninstl and 8MiHi like this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm.... I need to figure out the best Latin American holidays for booking. Christmas day, I'm sure is cheaper. There is a holiday down here almost every week, so it may take some time to figure out which ones mean more than just a paid day off that got someone from a past political race elected.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I book New Year's day flights every year, with the return being a mid-week day. I have gotten very good fares, but I don't book to traditionally touristy places.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. Allison Hollins

Allison Hollins New Member

Status Points:
    Fly to Europe on Thanksgiving Day. My husband is from England and we've found this is a good time to visit his family as we have the extra days off from work, flights are inexpensive and the plane is empty. Last year we took our newborn with us and had an entire middle row of seats completely to ourselves. Many of the rows around us were empty as well, so we could both stretch out. I found this cheap flights over Thanksgiving article on Fly.com helpful -- there is a handy calendar that shows the best dates to fly to lower the overall cost of your ticket.

TRAVELSIG and 8MiHi like this.