Four Hours at the Lesotho Border With a Flat Tire — and Locked Out of the Hotel

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Mar 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

“Lesotho must be the most popular country in the world today,” I thought to myself after having inched a quarter of a kilometer in an hour’s time, waiting to get into Lesotho from South Africa at the Ficksburg Bridge border crossing. “Why are so many people trying to get into Lesotho?!?” Perhaps it was the fact that it was a Friday night. Nah, that cannot be the reason, I thought, as there is really nothing on either side of that border crossing in terms of nightlife. Maybe Lesotho is really that popular every night? I would have thought that that point would have come up in my research before I traveled. Did I choose the wrong border crossing? I purposely avoided the Maseru Bridge border crossing primarily because it entered the largest city in Lesotho — and Maseru is also its capital city. No explanation with which I could think made any sense, as I sat there at the chaotic border crossing, thinking that I would rather enter the United States from Mexico at San Ysidro or Otay Mesa... ...and in the trunk of the Ford Fiesta which I rented laid a casualty of a pothole on Highway R76 approximately 20 kilometers northwest of Steynsrus on my way to... The post Four Hours at the Lesotho Border With a Flat Tire — and Locked Out of the Hotel appeared first on The Gate.

Continue reading...