Four former Starwood Capital-owned hotels in France to be converted to Hyatt brands

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by uggboy, Feb 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Four former Starwood Capital-owned hotels in France to be converted to Hyatt brands ||

This will without any doubt enhance the appeal of Hyatt in Europe, an amazing deal indeed. Also of note, I presume, that the Martinez Hotel Cannes which becomes the Grand Hyatt Cannes Martinez will surely leave the Leading Hotels of the World organization with this change of management. Here, Paris will also see the introduction of the Andaz brand into France, which of course will be pitched against Starwood's very own W Hotel Paris. Overall, this deal plays rather nicely for all involved.

Kalboz, IDGflygirl, Horse and 3 others like this.
  2. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a footnote that Starwood Capital is not Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Kalboz, LETTERBOY, flyingdawg and 2 others like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for pointing this out.

While Starwood Capital isn't Starwood Hotels & Resorts, it has a connection, as Barry S. Sternlicht is the current Chairman and CEO of Starwood Capital and as we all know he was also the Chairman / CEO of Starwood Hotels & Resorts between 1995 and 2005.
    http://www.starwoodcapital.com/ExecutiveCommittee.aspx

Plus, Starwood Capital invests into hotels which incl. Starwood Hotels managed properties:
    http://www.starwoodcapital.com/StarwoodBussiness.aspx

IDGflygirl, edekba and flyingdawg like this.
  4. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    All 100% accurate; however, some folks don't read beyond the word "Starwood" and they think Starwood Hotels & Resorts is = Starwood Capital; hence my post.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    At one point, Palais de la Mediterranee in Nice was in FHR. I don't know if this is still true.

I'm surprised that Hyatt is giving the Regency brand label rather than something more fancy (and expensive), but lounges are good.

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    FHR:https://www.americanexpressfhr.com/ssl/travel/gateway.rvlx?action_route=1:HOTEL:0:START::SWF#main=2

The Palais de la Mediterranee in Nice was also a member of LHW a few years back. Agreed, I was surprised too with the "Regency" branding, but the Nice hotel market is competitive and the "Regency" label was the right thing to do, as rates tend to be lower compared to Cannes or Monte Carlo. I nearly would have expected that the Maritnez in Cannes would become a "Park Hyatt" property in the future instead of a "Grand", but I guess, it's all about size and finding the right brand for each property, plus value of course.

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think of these two as being fancier than Hotel du Louvre. The Nice market is tough if you include neighboring villages, but much less so within Nice itself, where Palais...would be considered #1 or #2 I would think. I hope Hyatt doesn't destroy the character of the Martinez

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel du Louvre will have a "funky" makeover and become an Andaz, which brings the hotel into competition with the W Paris. Indeed, the Palais de la Mediterranee is a beautiful hotel, I haven't stayed there yet, but we had visited the property before and saw the pool and had drinks there, we liked the design and location of this hotel.

Regarding Nice, it is a beautiful city, but I presume it's all about "which rates are appropriate" to this city and yes, the hotel would rank number 1 or 2 in the city itself, there's also the Le Negresco, the grand dame of Nice, not too for from the Palais.

flyingdawg likes this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a major development and great edition to the Hyatt portfolio in France ... more options for redeeming at some incredible properties.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

uggboy, flyingdawg and sobore like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    John777 and uggboy like this.