Four airports responsible for 1/3 of US airport delays

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Jan 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    NBC News LINK

NYC (JFK/LGA,/EWR) and PHL responsible for 1/3 of national (US) air delays.

uggboy, TAHKUCT and sobore like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprise Surprise...

NYCUA1K, uggboy, goalie and 2 others like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow three NYC airports? :(

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A constant wildcard in being a NYC-based frequent-flyer, requiring that one avoid tight connections, which can be easily missed due to the frequent delays. I often get flight update messages from UA, and usually it's because they have determined that I might not have allowed sufficient time for the next connecting flight, so they changed my itinerary or flight time after taking into the notorious NYC delays:confused:.

TAHKUCT, uggboy and rwoman like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Common weather, airspace, etc... storms get three for the price of one (region)... I imagine PHL is often affected similarly by the same bad weather?

TAHKUCT, uggboy, viguera and 3 others like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    And because most of these are "acts of God", there is usually no compensation for the delays...:confused:

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah DC and BOS are far enough away, otherwise the entire NE region would be choking the country to a halt.

But in spite of the notoriously bad weather at times, the problem is an over-saturated schedule IMO. All you have to do is look for flights and you'll see where the problems are -- JFK handles something in the order of 1,200 flights a day, and the other airports are not much better.

You look at the board and you have 3-4 flights leaving at the same time somehow, and any hiccups in the system like a few flights arriving early can make a mess of things on the ground, which in turn makes a mess of things overall.

TAHKUCT, uggboy, NYCUA1K and 2 others like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point - many of the delays I've had at LHR are due to similar circumstances.

NYCUA1K and uggboy like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is another aspect of the delays that is quite frustrating. It has happened for flights to get passengers in early in NYC, only to have them wait on the tarmac for delays that can be as long as 30 min because there are no open gates, nullifying any advantage that may have been gained by early arrival...

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  10. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    What isn't said is what fraction of each day's flight go through those four airports (which obviously are four of the busiest in the country).

It has to be a big number and this is yet another example of a lazy reporter.

DTWBOB

NYCUA1K, rwoman and uggboy like this.
  11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    3 out of those 4 I will try to avoid as much as possible. I will fly to LGA secondary it is the best way to get to Manhattan.

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there's a significant amount of traffic, as JFK, EWR and PHL are obvious gateways for quite a few airlines heading across to Europe.

Still, volume-wise, JFK was only #16th in the world last year and EWR hasn't been in the top 30 since 2003.

I would imagine that if it was just passenger traffic, ATL or ORD would play a much bigger role. Then again they don't have that nightmarish corridor that IAD/DCA/PHL/EWR/LGA/JFK/BOS create.

Plus the geography of it all doesn't really help... a single storm traveling up the Northeast corridor can affect DC today, NY tonight/tomorrow and Boston shortly thereafter.

13. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although the 3 NYC-area airports are lower on the list individually, collectively, they make up the largest volume of air traffic in a metro area, by far. 2010 data show (total passenger boardings):

ORD + MDW = 32.2M + 8.5M = 40.7M
    ATL = 43.1M
    JFK + LGA + EWR = 22.9M + 12.0M + 16.6M = 51.5M
    PHL = 15.0M

According to the stats, this is the largest airport system in the country, and 2nd largest in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_the_United_States

rwoman and daemon14 like this.
  14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dear goodness. ATL is 4th with ONE airport. ONE. After all of London, NYC, and Tokyo.

No wonder everytime I'm delayed on DL, I just pull up the weather in 30320 -- "yep, that's the reason."

rwoman, viguera and Flyer1976 like this.
  15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cloudy much?

rwoman likes this.
  16. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're Number One! We're Number One!