"FoundersCard" - Ever Heard Of It? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Whatwasthat..., Mar 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Whatwasthat... Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I saw a posting today on Hotel Chatter for a "membership" service called FoundersCard; theoretically offering discounts to "members" on hotels and flights, providing "fast track" opportunities to "elite status" on (among other things) Virgin America and American Airlines. The "comments" on the posting tended toward the skeptical, but I thought I'd see if folks over here had heard anything about FoundersCard and, if so, what their thoughts/experience may have been.

:rolleyes:

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was a big item a few years ago on TOBB. They promised AA Gold, or, if you were a Gold, Platinum. All for some nominal fee - maybe $99? A member posted the deal and was taking referrals.

Then all h*&@#^ broke loose, AA denied any involvement, the people at FC insisted it was legit. Then, it really fell apart. They said they couldn't do AA status. But they offered other stuff like discounts to Avis that any organization can get.

Sounds like they have meet-ups and things that might be of use if you're either single or a business networker, but the whole episode left a bad taste in my mouth.

lin821, DeltaExpert and Scottrick like this.
  3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found this thread with some of the info - there's a link in there to TOBB thread that had some real dirt - much of it pulled during the fiasco:

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/08/airline-discounts-and-elite-status-perks-with-founderscard/

Pay particular attention to Chris Hutchins. I think he was the guy who got all of the fuss started, is apparently still into it, and is happy to answer questions about it apparently. Clearly, referrals help the referee, so he's on-board with that, but IIRC, he had some line into the leadership over there.

lin821 likes this.
  4. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Founders Card has since reformed themselves since the AA incident a couple of years ago. I am currently a member and have used the AA 10% off discounts fairly frequently. They also offer Virgin America/Atlantic and Qantas discounts as well as several car services, hotels, etc. Some discounts are very good (AA 10%) while others are average. Definitely do a google search for a discounted membership though ($250-295)

5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any limitations on the AA 10%? Anytime, any fare?

6. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Limited to 1x a month. RT and one way, all classes of service. Some blackout dates apply. Travel March 1-June 1. From past experience, they typically extend the discounts (this discount has been available since I joined on Nov 2011.

schnitzel likes this.
  7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if you spend over $2500 a year on AA airfare, that's easy. I guess the key is that it may not last.

If you're booking for four people on the same RT, the 10% would apply to all four?

8. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    i'm a FC member and wanted to share my thoughts:
    • the airline promo codes are really nice. i've used the AA codes, Virgin Atlantic codes and am hoping to use the Qantas codes soon. this benefit alone has paid for the card
    • the international hotel benefits are also nice. i was recently in russia and stayed at the FC rate which was considerably lower than the lowest offered website rate (and even included free internet and an upgraded room)
    • the UPS/FedEx benefit (depending on which one you got) comes in handy if you ship quite a bit (as founders typically do)
    • i've used misc travel services (like 3FLoz) and received the free overnight shipping to my hotel so i see value there also
    in short... i'm a member because i'm a founder AND because i've been able to pay for my membership easily with the discounts i've been provided. i would not advocate signing up just to try and get status (as some have mentioned that did not work out so well) but the promo benefits have been great

YULtide and carwag25 like this.
  9. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are no restrictions in the T's & C's limiting the number of tickets purchased on the same reservation. Only restriction is that the tix must be purchased on AA.com

10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm back to considering this card, as I've gotten repeated $295 offers by email.

The benefit that would make it worthwhile for me is the 15% off AT&T plans. They exclude business plans.

This would easily make having the card profitable for me.

Does anyone have experience with this discount? Is it available other ways? Is it a simple discount, or are there barriers like extending a contract, or disallowing certain rate plans?

11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still get these offers (like you), based on when I got refered years ago via the guy on FT.

schnitzel likes this.
  12. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back then, before the storm erupted, I applied for it for the AA status. Got denied.

Of course, had they approved me, they would have had to refund, I guess, because they wouldn't have been able to deliver it.

But it's ironic that now they want me, but when I wanted them . . . Oh - and I do co-own a legitimate and profitable internet business, so I'm pretty sure I'm right in their demographic target area.

iolaire likes this.
  13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I keep getting invitations from them. The company does seem legit, but I haven't found any personal benefits worth spending on the membership.

I did look at the list of members going to some of their events, and it might be a good networking source.

14. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    They'll take anybody who has 295.:)

15. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the price I don't know what anyone expects.

16. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost seems like they're soon to go BK, based on the increasing frequency of the emails I receive.

17. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. But if you need the statuses its not bad.

18. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you get status before they crater (if they crater).

See FreeAfterRebate.com, Envaluted.com, etc.