Found a way to earn points fast

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by knvinvest, Mar 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. knvinvest

knvinvest Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so I am a United MileagePlus member and also hold the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. With that card, you can earn 2x points for restaurant charges.

In addition, you can earn United MP points/miles by participating in this program below as long as you have your credit card on file:

http://mpdining.rewardsnetwork.com/

So, I'm getting 2x points with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card AND points for charging with the card and into my MP account.

NICE!!

wrxmom, daemon14 and uggboy like this.
  2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeap, Dining Programs are a great way to build up points. I bank to AAdvantage Dining since it's not as easy for me to get AA miles (they don't transfer from AmEx or Chase, my 2 programs).

That said, I don't go out of my way to eat at iDine places. It's more a pleasant surprise when I get an email a few days later (and also an extra reason why I INSIST that if friends want to pay cash, I pocket it and add their tab to my credit card ;))

perryplatypus and wrxmom like this.
  3. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very rarely do we eat at restaurants that are not part of the dining program, much to my husband's chagrin and constant refrain.... "Does it have to be a AA dine restaurant?" ;)

Scottrick and perryplatypus like this.
  4. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like MP DIning and even though I don't make decisions on where to eat based on it, once or twice a month, my MP account will indicate a few points earned from an establishment where I have dined. That's always a nice surprise.

dc_traveler likes this.
  5. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not enough places near me to get lots of points from the dining program, but I do use it when I'm out of town and not sure where to eat.

6. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back when I was in school, the bar right near campus was a member, which worked out really well as they don't discriminate against alcohol vs food.

Nothing better than a reason to drink (how many beers does it take to get a free first class flight :p )

However recently i've been traveling for a little over a year now, and have found the overseas options very limited.

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    United has fairly poor dining options in its network around Seattle. I would rather focus on finding good food than worry about whether I'm earning points.

8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you. I have some of my credit cards signed up with one or another program and will get around to registering the rest — but just in case I happen to eat in a restaurant that participates. If I find myself choosing a restaurant based on the points, I'll be pretty disappointed (in myself).

9. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in old days when the 'miles for dining' program started, they gave 10X on dining at the participating restaurants. Then the current owner bought the co. at a premium price and to pay for that, he screwed us by downgrading the reward to only 2 points per $ spent. That is when I jumped off the dining bus. I don't go out of my way to look for restaurants on their list. If my choice happens to be on their list, fine, else it is a no go.

wrxmom likes this.
  10. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, those were the glory days. :) There were a lot more restaurants in the program as well.