Found 2 Saver First seats NRT/DFW

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dhammer53, Jul 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It took a little while, but I found a couple of saver seats in first NRT/DFW/EWR.

AA
    does everything possible to feed you from the USA arrival city (LAX and DFW) to a USAirways flight to my final destination. My preference was to fly NRT/LAX/JFK all in first. I wanted to try the new product LAX/JFK.

It was hard enough getting 2 seats home, let alone having to possibly fly from Japan to LAX or DFW to CLT in so-called USAir 'first'. The ultimate come down. :(

Who'd a thought anyone (me) would be happy flying DFW/EWR on an MD-80. :eek:

Backstory

I booked 3 tickets on the 'special' fare JFK/MXP PRG/AMS/NRT. All I had to do was book a flight home. I thought about booking 3 coach seats, but perish the thought when we could fly biz class at 50,000 miles per person one way. You try booking 3 seats in any class. :mad:

Ok. I tried all combinations. 2 Biz and 1 coach. I tried 2 coach and 1 Biz. I even tried 2 biz on one day, and 1 biz on another. It was just impossible. I finally found 1 biz seat for a Monday flight, since my daughter had to return to work. I booked her NRT/DFW/LGA. All segments on AA metal. ;)

All I had to do was book 2 seats home for me and mrs dhammer53. Since it's just the 2 of us, it allowed me to take a look at Monday - Wednesday flights. Oh sure, AA had plenty of routings available if I wanted to travel on USAir metal once I reached the States. Since friends don't let friends fly USAirways, I logged out. I did this just about every day for the past 3 weeks.

Today, I finally found a decent routing, all on AA metal. I would have preferred DFW/LGA instead of EWR, but EWR is better than flying through CLT and PHL. I called AA to see if they had seats, but no luck.

Years ago, Randy did an article on online vs call center availability. www.insideflyer.com
    No luck for me.

Epilogue

My daughter is a little pi$$ed that we're flying in first, and she's stuck in business. :D

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    What exactly is it like to be in the so-called USAir first? I have one coming myself -- my regular AA flight got cancelled, and they're trying to shift me into one of those. How hard should I resist?

3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Why on earth would you try to stay on AA metal? Japan Airlines First Class is awesome and usually has plenty of availability

4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was no availability on my dates (I checked AA and the BA website).

5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown USAir upfront in a long time. If you read various online travel bulletin boards, you won't find glowing reports of domestic first class.

Goldlust likes this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Did you check through Boston and Chicago? (Boston only has biz)

7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm reading one now, and it offers nothing specific on the subject. :(

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    How about any glowing reports on your new favorite Southwests (AKA as the airline that can't keep more than 2/3s of their flights on-time ;)) First Class?? ;)

With both AA and UA racing as fast as they can towards the bottom of the barrel, US Airways in First is more than OK. I've flown them PHX-ORD a few times lately and they serve a decent meal, about the same you'd expect from UA or AA. No entertainment onboard, but usually wifi, so perfect for someone who has their own entertainment, like an iPad and their own headsets.

The only thing that's worse than UA and AA is the legroom, but then again, US does not have the new slimline First seats, like AA, so I find the US seats more comfortable than AA.

MX likes this.
  9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the specifics, finally! Besides the seat comfort, I was also wondering about the following.
    1. Is their equipment (A320/321) relatively new?
    (on the route I'm taking, AA offers either most recent B738 or some ancient clunkers).
    2. Are they known to be likely to mishandle or lose bags when connecting through CLT?

10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:

1) Yes. They are fresher than eg UAs 320s

2) I've not checked bags with them

MX likes this.
  11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the AA call center, there was no availability. Aren't YQ charges excessive on JAL? I paid about $48 for a one-way ticket in first on AA.

12. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's nice to know that you're reading. ;) :D

tommy777 likes this.
  13. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    There are no fuel surcharges on JAL

MX likes this.