Forum taxonomy (top-level categories)

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by JSpira, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I referred people to FT, I sometimes heard feedback that, while there were forums for mileage programs for the airlines, there were no forums to discuss the airlines outside of these programs.

The problem, I realized, is that the forums that covered a specific airline were under "Miles and Points" and then "Airline Programs" (or "Hotel Programs").

Of course, we know that this is where all airline-specific issues were covered but that was not apparently apparent to some and, if you examine the naming schema used (i.e. , it is easy to see why.

I had hoped that milepoint would not follow this taxonomy but, unfortunately, it more or less has.

I'm not suggesting that we have separate forums to discuss miles and points versus seating and service. Rather, I am suggesting that the forum names and top-level directories should better fit what is being covered therein.

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    interesting that you raise that point and it is certainly one that we are aware of and have begun small little changes to address that and likely may do more as we continue to finess the Beta period of testing. For instance, if you'll notice this small and subtle change that when you are within a major category forum such as Airlines Programs, you see a subtle marker between the airline name and the frequent flyer program name, it looks like this:
    Air Canada | Aeroplan. this very subtle marker was put in place as a suggestion of how we may begin to address the topic you raise. We want to remain attached to our gola of being the knowledge warehouse for things miles and points related because i'm aware that for the more specific topics of airlines, there are great resources in existence such as airliners, etc.

A quick question if you don't mind: Can you name three great resources for the discussing airlines outside of their association with frequent flyer programs? I invite anyone to add their thoughts on resources and as well your thoughts on the imperative value of these subtle changes in navigation. Again, really timely topic. Thanks.

3. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I cannot (at least off the top of my head).

I think that it's not a question of whether one can discuss airlines in isolation; rather, it is a question of how newcomers to the site (esp. because this is a new site with fewer established "traditions") and, percentage wise, there will be more newcomers, will easily find the appropriate area to discuss non-mileage/points related questions regarding a flight or lounge or service.

4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    which is exactly why when we launch you'll see a more structure and information in the first forum on MP—Newbies. But because you can't name others, you really have answered my question and that is why i really do value your suggestion. It helps us see the forrest for the trees of our at times channel vision of miles and points. Again thanks.

5. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, that's actually my job. I study how people use and manage information and the problems that ensue in various situations, such as when there is too much. (My third book, this time on Information Overload, will be out soon.)

Gargoyle likes this.