Forum differentiation between information and discusion

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by DeacFlyer1, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the goal of Mile Point is to truly be a go-to community for travel information, I think it would be extremely helpful to separate each forum into two sections: One section that contains threads solely focused on practical information, and then a second section of the forum that contains general discussion threads. So to use the US Airways forum as an example:

The first section (so the first group of threads) will be informational-type threads: "How to redeem miles for award tickets", "Baggage fee policies", "A guide to unlimited domestic upgrades" etc.

The second part of the forum could then be used for threads such as "Had a great experience on flight 123 today!" "Will the DCA/LGA slot-swap deal go through?" etc.

So essentially, I'm suggesting making a clearer differentiation between informational, reference-type threads, and threads to just talk about things that are going on.

Thanks!

brp and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That worked in the Mileage Run area on the other site. It seem it would take a lot of management resources. A simple thing that will help is clear thread titles, and if the OP can edit their title after starting a thread, that could also help.

3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it would take a good bit of oversight...but if there are dedicated folks in each forum (moderators, so to speak) who are willing to oversee this, I think it could be valuable. Basically, the way I see it in my head is to take the concept of "tacked" threads one step further--in this new format, the forums would essentially be hard-coded to have one section where the tacked info-type threads would go, and then the second discussion section, just to create a clearer distinction.

4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't mean to keep replying to my own thread, but I didn't want to start another one...

I also think it would be tremendously helpful to have a forum in the Miles/Points area that was dedicated to industry terminology and other more complex questions/definitions of things. For example, I consider myself to be a pretty knowledgeable flyer, but I just learned a few minutes ago what "open jaw" meant. I asked another member here through a conversation, and their answer was very helpful, but that would be great info to have on a thread in a questions forum.

mowogo likes this.
  5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    What might work a little better for this would be a wiki. Forums are great for when discussion on a topic is needed, but a wiki serves a much better purpose for just delivering static information. It allows for information to be updated without opening the door to heavy off topic discussion, which many threads that start off informational can devolve into.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, a wiki would be perfect. I think that would be a great addition to the informational content available on the site.

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A wiki appears to be in the plans -- we just need to wait a bit longer, we are not even a week into the beta period yet!

mowogo likes this.
  8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great to hear, thanks!