Fortune interview with SMI/J

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. On the "25,000 a minute" fuel bit, he mentions they spend enough on fuel in one week to buy a brand new A380. I wonder how/why he knows this correlation? Are they possibly looking at A380s? Or is the 380 the most expensive plane out there and that is why the comparison is used?
    Pure speculation, but some things make you go humm...

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really think you're reading far too much into this. UA has too many gateway cities to make sense of using A380s on any one or two routes. And introducing another aircraft type with no commonality to any of UA's other aircraft makes no sense on too many levels. It's the same set of reasons no other NAmerican airline has ordered the A380!

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say Airbus has made overtures to UA on getting the A380, so they would of course have a record of how much an A380 would cost. I actually could see the new UA flying the A380 on some specific routes from EWR and ORD, but those are only a very few routes, though it would be funny seeing some of the ferry flights to LAX and SFO ;)

adambadam and Ygor like this.
  5. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are probably right and I am probably reading too much into it, but as Justin Bieber would say, I will never say never! :oops:

tjtenor4 likes this.
  6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No caption boo!!!

Oh well, I guess I will figure something out somehow...

7. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Golfingboy likes this.
  8. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    By watching the video, I found Smisek's email address to be jeff.smisek@united.com

I shall contact him in regards to the reduced SWU validity due to an early posting policy and the massive increase in mileage requirements for upgrade awards.

10. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let us know how that goes.

When he gave out his email in that video segment, he also mentioned that he does not personally reply to most of the customer emails but rather forwards them to the relevant department like Customer Service :rolleyes:

11. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the sense that he was trying to drive the point home that fuel is a big expense and he picked the largest/most expensive plane to make his point.

So while I would love to see United flying an A380, particularly since other airlines fly A380 on routes that United flies (QF on LAX-SYD/MEL, SQ on LAX-NRT, LH on SFO-FRA, AF on IAD-CDG, etc.), I really don't see it happening.

In fact I'm still surprised that the A350s are still on order. Would have thought they would go all Boeing and use 777-300s, 777-200s and 787s instead of mixing it up with an Airbus.

Ygor likes this.
  12. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Smisek reaffirmed the UA's commitment to the A350 on the earnings call yesterday, stating that he had recently been in Toulouse regarding the A350 and that he was excited to take delivery of such a [some superlative, can't remember] airplane.

The A350-900 is a better choice than the existing 777-300ER at this point, with superior projected economics. I'm looking forward to the A350 as well, though I'm still holding out hope for the 747-8i as a 'true' 744 replacement!

13. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the confirmation. The A330/340/350 family is perfectly fine, but like I said I thought they would want to standardize cockpits.

Regardless, all of the above models listed (787, 777-2/3, 350, 747-8i) beat having to fly a 752 ;)

14. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The A350, while intended to be equipped with an evolution of the A380's flight deck, will retain Airbus' hallmark CCQ, which will allow crews qualified on other types, such as the A319/320, to be checked out on the A350 with only a brief differences training course. Currently, the transition time from A32X to A380 is 13 working days, and I expect the A350 to be similar.

While the models you cite may indeed be preferable from a passenger's perspective, the 757 makes routes like EWR-STR possible, where loads simply would not justify larger equipment. Regardless, I won't be complaining when or if the 757 era comes to an end on prime routes like EWR-LHR. :)

Infinite1K likes this.
  15. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the additional information.
    Finally, something we can agree on :)

EWR764 likes this.