Former COs: Expected timeframes for New UA for refunds, mile/RPU/GPU redeposits?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by redwoman, Mar 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to cancel a FF refundable ticket last week. I paid for it with my own money (not the company's LOL) and it was a little steep: about $1700. Pre-merger UA always charged for the new ticket immediately (ha!) but the refund would show up as "pending" to my credit card about 2-3 days later, and then the next day the credit would come through. The canceled upgrade miles would show up in minutes. I also used to receive an email immediately notifying me of the refund.

Well, at the new United, one week later there is no pending credit to my credit card, and the reservation details, including the e-ticket number and amount that I paid, the details that said it was fully refundable, are wiped from my UA account. I didn't receive any confirmation email from UA about the refund. I am also due back 15K miles that I had used to upgrade that ticket, and they aren't showing up. This was a B/Y ticket and i did check the fare rules (also checked again with the agent who cancelled it) and it is indeed fully refundable and is supposed to go back to my original form of payment. Luckily I have my original receipt email from the purchase that does have that information.

PMCOs, how long did you have to wait for this type of credit? What type of action do I need to ask for if I need to call about it (i.e. will they just tell me to keep waiting or should I say, "I would like X, it has been more than Y days")? I don't like this black box situation.:(

estnet and Kalboz like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it hasn't posted to your CC after 3 days I'd call in and ask for the refunds department.

From NYC, Kalboz and redwoman like this.
  3. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I will do that today.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reservation details should not be g:(ne from your account. From the main 'My account' screen, select 'View all reservations.' Then select the 'Cancelled' tab. The reservation sh;)uld be listed there.

Kalboz and redwoman like this.
  5. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    The record locator does show up in my canclled res as you've said, but there's no detail at all. It just says "your reservation is being processed for a refund". I'm taking WA's advice and calling the refunds department. One week means that something is messed up. There are so many issues with reservations going unticketed (and unnoticed by UA) or segments dropping off of itins that I can't trust that UA has a system in place to alert itself when something is wrong.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    My reservation are listed ther but when I click view it says res is cancelled "no details available" :(

redwoman likes this.
  7. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    estnet and new readers, I called about my refund and it turns out that queues were turned off (at least that what an agent told me) and they are processing reservations and upgrades (perhaps in part- seems like there would be so many) manually. I'll give it time unless it starts to approach the window on the time limit to dispute the charge with Chase CC. Them I'm sure that Chase will be able to take care of it minutes/hours.

desamo likes this.
  8. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earlier today, I had to spend some time on the phone with UACS to get an RPU redeposited that was from 2 weeks ago. Was told it had to be done manually at the present time.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    but if I don't know how much was charged or which CC (Chase is a NOT one I use) it creates a problem for me. I use different CC at different times so I really need to know which card a particular trip was charged to.
    Data point - credit was issued to my CC for 2 canceled awards 10 days after the miles were posted back to my account.

10. JetAway

JetAway Silver Member

Status Points:
    Processing them manually? Then something is seriously amiss in the system.

11. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    That’s what I was told while on the phone with them. :confused::eek:

12. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I redeposited two awards the other day and the miles were back in my account within 24 h:eek:urs.​

13. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Updating my own post. I received my refund to my CC after 27 calendar days (19 business days). The UA website promises refund processing in 7 business days. The website still has my canceled res as "being processed for refund". No miles (used to upgrade) back yet. Perhaps they will show up in 48 hours, which in the new United time (kind of like "game time" I guess) means 120 hours?

Oddly, I never received any emails from United about the fact that I had canceled the ticket and asked for a refund. I know that PMUA one got those emails immediately. I'm not sure if that was the case PMCO, but I have to believe that they would have sent an email eventually. In this case, I heard nothing March 16-April 12. I found out about the credit only because I started checking my CC daily activity. UA does indeed have my current email address.

It appears that the refund took it's sweet 'ol time and the three calls I made to the 1K line and the 1 call I made to Refunds over the course of 3 1/2 weeks did nothing except waste my time and that of the agents who attempted to help me. I do hope that this gets better moving forward; I'd hate to be a customer who had to cancel a C or F class international ticket- those can be the equivalent of a month's salary. :(

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it may have been the pre-merger aspect of yours that confounded the system.

In my case, I have:

Cancelation time: April 5, 2012 2:16:00 AM PDT
    Rebooked: April 5, 2012 2:24:12 AM PDT
    Ticketed: April 5, 2012 2:28:00 AM PDT

...and the cash was back in my account on the 7th.

redwoman likes this.
  15. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Desamo, thanks for posting your post-merger refund experience. I hope that from this point on, the refunds will come much more quickly! :)

16. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need to collect my PNRs and review my credit card statements to see where my refunds are. I suspect I'm owed a pile of money from several recent award ticekt cancellati:(ns... All the miles are back, but I see no credits for the taxes/fees.

desamo likes this.
  17. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm wondering if we're still "at the present time." I finally broke down and emailed the 1K support desk, requesting that my GPU be redeposited into my account, since the upgrade to C (on May 10th!!) did not clear. That was on Thursday, June 7th, start of the workday central time. It is now Monday after COB, and I have yet to get any response to my request, besides the automated response of how they value me, yada yada yada.

What's the deal?

theBOAT

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

18. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you've waiting long enough for an email response. My latest query took 7 business days. I have much better luck calling the MPSC directly and having them manually redeposit. Took 5 minutes (including waiting time) when I called April 15.

cheepneezy, carsonheim and theBOAT like this.
  19. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Phone calls sound like the way to go. I received a reply from the 1K desk yesterday (June 14th), confirming that they had contacted MP and redeposited the GPU into my account. It's there as of this morning, so all in all, not the fastest process, but at least it worked.

I wasn't in a hurry to re-apply it to a reservation, but if you are I'd recommend asking via phone.

theBOAT

20. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently waited over a month for a re-deposit of miles. All of my communication had been via telephone, and I had called once/week to confirm that it was still going to be processed. My fifth call resulted in an agent who knew how to get it done, and the miles were back in my account the following day.

21. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, my unused GPU from the IAD-DXB flight on the 11th was back in my account automatically the 1st time I checked for it 2 days later.:)

desamo, LizzyDragon84 and Flyer1976 like this.