Forgotten Countries of the World

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by guinnessxyz, Feb 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kuwait isn't all that forgotten... doesn't United fly there every day? ;)

But thanks for this. Some interesting destinations for sure.

YULtide and jbcarioca like this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmmmm.... Canada is listed alongside Nepal as one of the great mountain countries. Yes we have mountains, but try selling the "great mountain country" moniker to someone from Saskatchewan.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a Bee-bee-cee story. Does the queen have better mountains in her empire? ;)

guinnessxyz and YULtide like this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    She is also Queen of Canada. But that has little impact on the Beeb.

5. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd also throw out Rarotonga (Cook Islands) as a lovely, largely ignored country. Brilliant beaches, very relaxing, good fishing, & surprisingly, some really delicious restaurants.

desamo likes this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I've only heard of half these places, they definitely are off the beaten path to me. Given the wide variety of places to visit in this world, the lack of convenient access makes many of these places a no-go for most travelers.

LETTERBOY and guinnessxyz like this.
  7. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really would prefer not to answer that question...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. You need to read and travel more;)

9. willyroo
    Original Member

willyroo Active Member

Status Points:
    Direction Island, part of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands...some of the most amazing snorkeling at "The Rip" where the ocean current comes through the barrier reef...makes Whitehaven seem a bit "ho-hum"
    [​IMG]

desamo likes this.
  10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never been to Togo or Kyrgyzstan, but I've made Kiva loans to people in those countries, so at least a small part of me has been there. :)

desamo and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  11. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have been to Kyrgyzstan and will travel to Belarus on Friday. Some of the others aren't on my list of countries to visit though.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, I think I "own" some livestock in both places ;)

miles and smiles likes this.
  13. marekam

marekam Active Member

Status Points:
    Poland has fantastic mountains, lakes and forests, and the greatest percentage of land designated as National Parks in Europe. Go there every summer. Prices for accommodations/food are around 50% of American prices. Google images from "Mazury," "Bieszczady" or "Bialowieza."

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, marekam. How about a little trip report? I've never been to Poland, but it's on my to-do list.

15. marekam

marekam Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, thank you. Unfortunately, I cannot post links yet (this is my second post) so I cannot give you any visuals. I will try to give a concise description though. Poland is especially attractive price-wise since (a) flying there is easy and inexpensive - I have never had any difficulties in finding United or AA economy seats for 30 or even 20K miles off-peak one way; (b) the tourist infrastructure has been built over the past 5-10 years, so it is new and slightly underutilized = low prices/point categories. The Hilton in Warsaw (category 4) is one of the nicest Hiltons I stayed in, has great lounge, wonderful breakfasts and even better cafe with absolutely amazing cheesecakes and apple pies. Same for Marriott, Club Carlson, Hyatt and other major chains; (c) another factor driving prices down is that tourism is primarily for locals, so the prices don't follow, say, Costa-Rican pattern of two-tier pricing with low local wages/expensive tourist services. (You can find two-tiered pricing also in Belarus, Ukraine or Russia but not in those Eastern/Central European countries that joined the EU.) The locals are friendly, like Americans and speak English better than the French though not as well as the Scandinavians; the young generation speaks English fluently (About 83% of young Poles go to college.). I think that this rosy picture will start changing soon and in 10-15 years, when Poland's GDP per capita reaches the level of Germany/France, and the prices will adjust accordingly.

Where to go? I would choose Krakow/Cracow (close to Auschwitz, Wieliczka salt mine and Zakopane mountain resort); Gdansk (formerly Danzig) where WW2 began and Solidarity trade union started dismantling communism in 1980; Wroclaw (formerly Breslau). Warsaw is the biggest city but not as beautiful as the other three; it was totally destroyed in WW2 and the communists re-built it in their bombastic style. All national parks have well-marked trails (better marked than typical American trails) that are quite well-maintained. In parks, there is a network of "schroniska" (tourist shelters), where you can eat hearty food, drink inexpensive beer (Polish is good but Czech is even better), and sleep if needed. My favorite parks include the already mentioned ones: Bieszczady mountains (jointly with Ukraine), Bialowieza primeval forest (jointly with Belarus but only the Polish part has infrastructure and tourist services), Mazury; also Tatry mountains (jointly with Slovakia) and Karpaty mountains (jointly with the Czech Republic).

If you have specific questions - please ask! I will try to answer.

16. JordyC

JordyC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could probably name any number of places, but I just returned for a visit to Montenegro not that long ago, and came away extremely impressed. Tiny, relatively new country, but absolutely stunning natural beauty (mountains and coastline). Fairly cheap, not over-touristed (yet), good amount of English speakers if that is important to you, and it's very flexible: it could be a backpacker getaway, or a luxury cruise getaway, or a rent a car and stay in nice hotels getaway...

17. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    now, now, lets not make a prairie dogmolehill out of a mountain! :p

YULtide and LETTERBOY like this.
  18. Kyrgyzstan: amazing mountains, fascinating culture. Fly there via Istanbul, not via Moscow.

YULtide likes this.