Forget the bags if flying American

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by uggboy, Aug 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Forget the bags if flying American ||

Another day, another fee...!!;)

Chimpy and cvsara like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We have a thread from last week on this topic LINK. ;)

uggboy likes this.
  3. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hummm, I wonder if, for another fee, of course, they will pick up my luggage, do my laundry, and deliver it home in good order??
    Hoping UA will match!!!:p

jasher926 and uggboy like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you can arrange with a cleaning service to accept delivery of your luggage and do your laundry?

uggboy likes this.
  5. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is well and good, but how can the airlines add a fee for that?

uggboy likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a fee being charged for a new value-add service, something which was not offered previously. Hard to kvetch too much about that, really.

uggboy likes this.
  7. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotta love that phrase "value-add service" when it come to new fees

uggboy likes this.
  8. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    This appears to be nothing more than making use of the same baggage delivery service which is used to deliver lost bags. It is simply an added service if you need this - and in some cases it is an option that some can use.

It is cheaper than using the FedEx type services to deliver from home - where the main advantage is the arrival delivery anyway.

uggboy likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you suggesting that this isn't one?

In what way is this not a new service that the airlines have introduced which was not previously available? :confused:

uggboy likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd rather have this optional fee as a means to keep airfares relatively low than flat-out increases to everyone.

uggboy likes this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What other term would you prefer when an airline proposes to offer a service not offered previously, in exchange for additional compensation?

Why are some people so vehemently against airlines offering any sort of differentiated service to their customers? Maybe 5-star should be free for all as well?

Wandering Aramean and uggboy like this.
  12. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rather like this service, it makes them some extra $ from something they already are out doing anyway for the lost or delayed bags. I have had great service, scheduled drop offs, wait till you come down elevators etc from these lost/delayed package deliveries in the past and there are times I'd be willing to pay more to have it meet me later after catching a meeting or planned event first.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems expensive to me...maybe we no status flyers with the Citi AA card will get that as a free benefit soon! ;)

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't fly AA, but was just browsing to see what is going on at the airline that ran me off. I actually love this idea. I travel heavy, and lugging a bunch of bags on and off the rental car buses is a pita. I would OFTEN use this service if UA would offer it.

Another thought that crossed my mind was that my baggage was once sent to LGA when I was flying home to Costa Rica. AA delivered it to my home, of course, but the best part was that I had valuables that didn't get me held up for a day or two paying customs. If this service were available here (SJO), it could make for some very interesting new "hobbies." :D It "might" even get me to "consider" going back to AA. Especially if UA's service doesn't markedly and quickly improve.

15. nkedel
    Original Member

nkedel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may try this when I'm next flying back to NYC to visit family over Christmas. Bags on the subway are a pain in the neck, and at the same time, if this is either cheaper or not much pricier than a cab being able to just skip the freezing and generally rather slow taxi queue and jump onto the subway with my bags catching up later sounds like a possible win.