Foreign Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by RNMIV, Nov 4, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. RNMIV

RNMIV New Member

Status Points:
    My grandson is going to spend 5 months in Bologna, Italy completing the 2nd semester of his undergraduate degree. He needs to apply for a credit / debit card that treats him fairly - i.e. minimal / no foreign transaction fees, a fair exchange rate for euros, and access to spending cash on as necessary.
    Any suggestions for a card / cards that would meet his needs? Thx.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You probably want 2 cards, one for getting cash and another for purchases. Getting a 0% f/x credit card is relatively trivial now. The free JetBlue card offers that if you want airline points and there are even more options if you want to pay an annual fee.

Separately, what bank do you typically use? If you can set him up with a Schwab checking account for the free ATM that's a good option.

Zomby Woof likes this.
  3. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fidelity also offers a free ATM card for their cash management account. Forex fees are 1%.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If they charge 1% then it is not free. :eek:

profpeabody likes this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might want to check on the Chase Marriott Rewards VISA. No Foreign exchange fee and 80K bonus Marriott Rewards points (enough for some free nights, how many depends on the property) if you charge $3000 in the first three months, plus elite status. Annual fee is $85, but the 80K points are worth much more than that. Details at this link.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are lots of options for 0 f/x in paid cards. At that point the real question is what your preferred earning currency is.

And my guess is that a kid in school in Europe is unlikely to get great value of the elite status from a US hotel chain. The "free" stuff costs a LOT more that way.

profpeabody likes this.
  7. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Schwab offers their customers an ATM that really is fee free and they will reimburse your account for any fee a bank might impose. The Chase Marriott Visa has a poor conversion rate - it ended up costing me quite a bit on a Marriott stay in London. I now stick to AmEx or MC when abroad.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points: