Ford Econoline Super Club Wagon - 12 pax

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by Gaucho, May 30, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK.... so my plans/wishes to be able to rent a "proper" SUV for an upcoming family trip to Florida has been overruled by the need for maximum storage space. We are a party of 7 and I expect to have at least 8-9 large suitcases plus 2/3 medium suitcases plus carry-ons..... so my fate is sealed.

Im looking for (recent) experiences from anybody that has rented one of these monsters.... I wonder what sort of Trim Hertz gets chooses for these vans. I assume I should be happy if I get a passable radio and cloth seating that's not too soiled...?

Thanks for any insight anybody can provide.

Cheers from EZE,
    Alex / Gaucho100K

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saw your earlier posting on this - do you really have much of a choice with 7 pax? My friend, you could use a small bus! ;)

At the least, check to see what Hertz's competition will offer you - unless you are an elite with Hertz, and really can't get a better offer elsewhere. I'd see what the competition can do for you. No matter who you rent from, it appears that you will be leaving behind a nice profit for the car rental company! :(
    FWIW, I've also seen (and used) internet-only rates on both Avis and Enterprise that Hertz didn't match.

uggboy and Gaucho like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes indeed...... rental rates for non US residents are never good deals. I need to find an "alien" friendly state that will issue me a US drivers license..... although I would probably be rolling the dice regarding insurance if I was ever in an accident (God forbid)..... :p

Maybe I will shop Enterprise........ will see what I can get and report back.

Do you have any experience with these Ford Econoline monsters..???

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    This whole thing begs the question...

* Do you need a single gigantor sized car, or can you do with two, maybe even 3? Chances are the rates for the behemoths will be so high that renting cars would be a better option.

* Do you need a car at all?

Depending on where you're staying and your plans you might be able to get away with taking a shuttle or hiring a large enough vehicle to take you to your hotel or whatever you need that thing for.

Gaucho and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not recently. Perhaps someone else could weigh in who has direct experience? Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have much of a choice in the matter - as to vehicle. But you certainly should have choices - as to which car rental company will provide you the best overall deal. I'm not automatically convinced that would be Hertz, but will gladly be proven wrong. Elite status should help somewhat. Otherwise, the location the vehicle is rented from and the length of time it is rented can make all the difference.

Gaucho likes this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, at least from here Im not finding anything even close to Hertz for a 12 pax vehicle. The rate I got with Hertz using a special LATAM promotion code is $1090 for the 15 day rental of a 12 pax Econoline Super Club Wagon. I wonder if US residents find this rate to be competitive, although Im not holding my breath.....

Newscience likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I do need a monster vehicle.... Im the only one that will be driving during this entire trip - so short of having me clones there aint no other option.... :D

Do I need a car..??? Hell yes, I have to hit the shopping malls and all the theme parks, we are staying off property theme parks and flying into MIA so the no vehicle option is just not an option.

Newscience likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's Florida. Do you need more than a couple of t-shorts, shorts and undies and maybe flip flops? In other words, mandate carry on bags only.

9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just for grins, I checked out the Hertz website for a theoretical 15-day rental from MIA. I got a quote of $1410.87 for a 15 day rental of a 12-pax fullsize van (Group M) in October 2015. $1090 sounds like a comparatively good deal.

Gaucho likes this.
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bathing suits only takes care of the clothes requirements! I once dove in the Caymans with a Canadian who showed up with only the t-shirt and bathing suit he was wearing for his clothing ensemble during a week of diving!

Gaucho likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah right... only carry on with the wife, my sister in law, the kids and 2 teenage nieces..... ONLY CARRY ON...

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D:p;)

Gaucho likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you need that large suv and a u-haul trailer.

14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    With that group, @viguera may be on to something with hiring a shuttle or driver as needed. Are you sure that you want to be the driver of the rental vehicle? ;):p

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  15. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    California doesn't require citizenship or even permanent resident documentation to get a drivers license. AB-60 allows those who can demonstrate they live in California to receive a drivers license with an endorsement saying "Federal Limits Apply"

16. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say that's a good price...sometimes prices for a regular SUV are over $100 a day.

Also for the big vans expect the absolute lowest trim level.

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    What theme parks? Are you flying into MIA and drivingto Orlando?

That's borderline insane, not to mention a huge van will kill you when you have to refuel.

Regardless though, it might help if we had specifics so we can just give you some ideas. With that crowd you're definitely going to need the cargo space, but you might need to get a trailer or Thule pod or something to hold your luggage.

Newscience likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

And I am only half joking. For the price of that large van (and gasoline) you could get a lot of cab/Uber rides, since you presumably don't have to have that mountain of luggage with you all the time.

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    MIA to Orlando is 230-250 miles. On a whale that gets you at best 10-13 mpg.

Ouch.

20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, the 2 teenage nieces only need their smart phones with unlimited data, they won't use anything else...

21. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, working on that also......

Newscience likes this.
  22. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Look into some of the non-contract cellular services, like boost mobile or cricket. Make sure there is coverage in the areas you'll visit.

Newscience and Gaucho like this.
  23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I should be thankful that oil prices aren't as high as 12 months ago..... :p In any event, the original vehicle I was planning on getting isn't exactly a hybrid, the Infinity QX56 is also quite a guzzler although not as much as the Econoline Whale.

Newscience likes this.
  24. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great tip, thanks for this..... on this subject, I usually get an AT&T pay as you go plan when Im in the USA... I just want unlimited talk time and text, don't want data coverage... are these providers you mention an alternative for me or should I just stick with AT&T...?

Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  25. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They use the antenna networks of the big carriers, so coverage depends on whom they cut a wholesale deal with. Both are well established.

I believe Boost uses Sprints network, and I'm guessing (from the coverage info) that Cricket uses AT&T's network. They market mostly to low income users (no credit, so they pay as they go) and young people with limited funds.
    http://www.boostmobile.com/
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/

Newscience and Gaucho like this.